A Detailed Procedure on How to Apply for Masters Abroad
Applying to a graduate school is a long and daunting series of tasks.
- After you have short-listed the universities, you begin filling complicated and lengthy application forms, you start writing your Statements of Purpose, preparing your resume, and obtaining Letters of Recommendation from your professors in your college.
- Having the assistance of experts with a keen eye for all these issues that affect your chances of admission, and resolving such issues quickly and decisively will maximize your chances of getting in.
- Pre-final year students are highly recommended to start building up their profile as US MS applications warrant a portfolio of research work/ papers/ projects in the field they want to specialize in. Unfortunately in India as against the US education systems, research papers/ projects are not an integral part of Undergraduate courses. Indian students have to work on their profile at least a year in advance before they have to send their applications. They should seek advice from experts on WHAT, HOW and WHICH projects/profile development work will be best for them.
Manya-Princeton Review walks you through this application journey. Premium Admissions Counseling Services – ACS GRE are meant and available for MS applicants throughout the world.
How to go about your MS Applications
- Graduate school can be fun, challenging, and rewarding; it can also be difficult, demanding, and frustrating. Either way, it will be one of the most memorable experiences of your life.
- Once the decision of embarking on a graduate (Master’s) program is made, you must sit down and make a list of all the alternatives available.
- There are many things to do and you may feel that there is a shortage of time. Discussions and chats with seniors about the value of an MS in your career will definitely be clear navigation towards your goals. The more time spent, the more informed your preferences will be.
Taking your GRE.
- Studying MS abroad needs to take the GRE test as soon as possible. Start preparing the moment you plan to join a graduate school.
- Spread out the load of the application process by booking dates for ETS exams (GRE, TOEFL) in advance.
- During summer, take the GRE and TOFEL, and in September, take TSE, if required.
- You could take the GRE Subject Test in October/November of your 2nd or 3rd year of college.
Save time, money, effort and stress: Apply Online
- The application, involves among other things, an online application form, and the application packet consisting of the following:
- A copy of the online application form.
- Photocopy of the test scores (GRE, TOEFL, TSE).
- Financial documents (if required).
- Letters of Recommendation.
- Statement of purpose (SOP).
- Certificates, Papers, etc. (if required)
- It is always a good idea to apply online for the simple reason that it saves you a lot of trouble and time.
- It is a more proactive process and you can send the forms electronically with the click of a mouse.
- Applying online also gives you the advantage of being able to track the receipt of your documents and the status of your application.
Making an application schedule
- At Manya-TPR we also advise you to plan and set a timeline.
- We work with you to create a timeframe in which you allocate the universities, prepare and take the GRE/TOEFL/TSE, contact the professors you would like to work under and go about preparing the application SOP, resume, and other documents.
Which graduate school is the one for you?
- Before you can decide on a graduate school it is essential to research the expansive list of US universities to find a good match.
- At Manya-TPR, we remove the biggest obstacles in this daunting task by providing you with a shortlist of 10-12 universities from which you can shortlist your final 5.
- Check the faculty and the number of professors in your research area. Spend time exploring especially from university websites which give you a fairly good idea of the same.
Putting it all Together
- Begin thinking about, and subsequently, writing the statement of purpose by July or August. Try to complete two or three drafts by mid-September. The SOP plays a major role in the admissions process
- A Manya-TPR an editor can help you create a timeline for working on your documents. After sending one to her, you can begin working on the next. When she returns your document with edits and comments, you can send the one you were working on.
- Creating such a cycle will help you draft and complete all documents for a required university within a month.
- Deadlines for universities range between October and February. The period between these months is extremely tedious for applicants as the rush to complete the applications well in time for the due date can be very unnerving. Also, since this is a combination of quantitative and qualitative factors along with grades and standardized test scores being received from the governing organizations in time is important, therefore this stage of the application cycle should be completed as early as possible keeping the deadlines under consideration.
- Try to send all the documents by the middle of October. The deadlines may be much late. You would definitely have an edge over the admission and financial aid.