How to Apply for Masters Abroad
Applying to a graduate school is a long and daunting series of tasks.
- After you have short-listed the universities, you begin filling complicated and lengthy application forms, you start writing your Statements of Purpose, preparing your resume, and obtaining Letters of Recommendation from your professors in your college.
- Having the assistance of experts with a keen eye for all these issues that affect your chances of admission, and resolving such issues quickly and decisively will maximize your chances of getting in.
- Pre-final year students are highly recommended to start building up their profile as US MS applications warrant a portfolio of research work/ papers/ projects in the field they want to specialize in. Unfortunately in India as against the US education systems, research papers/ projects are not an integral part of Undergraduate courses. Indian students have to work on their profile at least a year in advance before they have to send their applications. They should seek advice from experts on WHAT, HOW and WHICH projects/profile development work will be best for them.
Manya – The Princeton Review walks you through this application journey. Premium Admissions Counseling Services – ACS GRE are meant and available for MS applicants throughout the world.
How to Go About Your MS Applications
- Graduate school can be fun, challenging, and rewarding; it can also be difficult, demanding, and frustrating. Either way, it will be one of the most memorable experiences of your life.
- Once the decision of embarking on a graduate (Master’s) program is made, you must sit down and make a list of all the alternatives available.
- There are many things to do and you may feel that there is a shortage of time. Discussions and chats with seniors about the value of an MS abroad in your career will definitely be clear navigation towards your goals. The more time spent, the more informed your preferences will be.
Check Your Score Now with a Free Practice Test
See where you stand with our practice tests. Find the right way to improve with our strategy sessions.
Taking Your GRE
- Studying MS abroad needs to take the GRE test as soon as possible. Start preparing the moment you plan to join a graduate school.
- Spread out the load of the application process by booking dates for ETS exams (GRE, TOEFL) in advance.
- During summer, take the GRE and TOFEL test, and in September, take TSE, if required.
- You could take the GRE Subject Test in October/November of your 2nd or 3rd year of college.
Save Time, Money, Effort, and Stress: Apply Online
- The application, involves among other things, an online application form, and the application packet consisting of the following:
- A copy of the online application form.
- Photocopy of the test scores (GRE, TOEFL, TSE).
- Financial documents (if required).
- Letters of Recommendation.
- Statement of purpose (SOP).
- Certificates, Papers, etc. (if required)
- It is always a good idea to apply online for the simple reason that it saves you a lot of trouble and time.
- It is a more proactive process and you can send the forms electronically with the click of a mouse.
- Applying online also gives you the advantage of being able to track the receipt of your documents and the status of your application.
Making an Application Schedule
- At Manya – The Princeton Review, we also advise you to plan and set a timeline.
- We work with you to create a timeframe in which you allocate the universities, prepare and take the GRE/TOEFL/TSE, contact the professors you would like to work under and go about preparing the application SOP, resume, and other documents.
Which Graduate School is the One for You?
- Before you can decide on a graduate school it is essential to research the expansive list of US universities to find a good match.
- At Manya-TPR, we remove the biggest obstacles in this daunting task by providing you with a shortlist of 10-12 universities from which you can shortlist your final 5.
- Check the faculty and the number of professors in your research area. Spend time exploring especially from university websites which give you a fairly good idea of the same.
Putting it all Together
- Begin thinking about, and subsequently, writing the statement of purpose by July or August. Try to complete two or three drafts by mid-September. The SOP plays a major role in the admissions process
- A Manya editor can help you create a timeline for working on your documents. After sending one to her, you can begin working on the next. When she returns your document with edits and comments, you can send the one you were working on.
- Creating such a cycle will help you draft and complete all documents for a required university within a month.
- Deadlines for universities range between October and February. The period between these months is extremely tedious for applicants as the rush to complete the applications well in time for the due date can be very unnerving. Also, since this is a combination of quantitative and qualitative factors along with grades and standardized test scores being received from the governing organizations in time is important, therefore this stage of the application cycle should be completed as early as possible keeping the deadlines under consideration.
- Try to send all the documents by the middle of October. The deadlines may be much late. You would definitely have an edge over the admission and financial aid.
Are You Planning to Pursue MS Abroad?
Click Here to Book Your Free 1-On-1 Session with Experts
Things to Keep in Mind When Applying for MS Abroad
Top 3 things for Indian students to keep in mind before applying for Masters from any foreign countries:
- Select the course of your choice
- Make a list of the colleges
- Meet the requirements
Mentioned below are some criteria that you have to fulfill for your admission-
- GRE Scores
- Letter of Recommendation (LOR)
- Statement of Purpose
- The most important is *Application Deadlines*
When do you need to begin the application process for a Master’s abroad
Students who are applying for a Master’s degree are strongly advised to submit their application during their Final year of their Bachelor’s. If the application is approved, then the students will receive a conditional admission response that will not become final until the candidate receives their respective Bachelor’s degree. Applications are also available for the Candidates who are already holding a Post-Graduation Degree, and also for those who have gone into employment after their Undergraduate degree. Keep in mind that all the universities after publishing their applications also share the Application Deadlines , so that the student has a rough idea till when he has to prepare all his documents.
Few Tips on Applying for Master’s Abroad
Start Beforehand: Starting the operation process early gives you plenty of time to arrange the rest of your study abroad experience, like accommodation, part-time work, and insurance.
Remember the Operation Deadline: Write it in your time-table, set a memorial on your phone, just don’t forget about it.
Ask for Help: You don’t need to go through the operation process alone. Ask for guidance.
Is there a centralised admissions platform for Master’s applications in the US and the UK?
Although LLM programs in the US accept applications through the LSAC platform, there is usually no central platform for submitting applications to Master’s programs, in the US and abroad. You will have to apply to each university separately, ensuring you meet the program’s requirements. You need to do your homework to find out what documents are useful and much needed by each university. Be aware of the Master’s application deadlines at each university as well.
How Many Universities Can I Apply to at the Master’s Level
There is no limit to the number of universities where you can apply for a Master’s degree. Not just in USA OR UK, you can even go for Masters in Canada, Masters In Singapore, Masters in Germany and can apply to as many universities as you want. Therefore it is considered advisable to share your application to tons of universities, that will only increase your chances of getting enrolled to at least into one of the Best University. You should be careful, try not to be too excessive. Although you can apply to any university, you should avoid applying to universities that do not suit your profile, and are not suitable for your career goals.
MS Abroad Eligibility & Requirements
- Academic Requirements
- Work Experience Requirements
- Age Requirements
MS Jobs and Career Opportunities
After you have completed your MS course, you will be looking for a well-paying job in a similar field. Study abroad applicants are aware that every country provides a rationed period of time under the post-study work visa permit to seek employment. It is imperative that candidates take advantage of this time and find jobs that come with a good salary.
MS Abroad vs MS in India
Many universities in India offer Masters programs. They not only give students an in-depth curriculum, but also the opportunity for growth. Students who wish to study abroad have access to state-of-the-art university campuses, world-class faculty, and above all a proper globally recognized working degree. Furthermore, students who study abroad would be able to practice their profession in a foreign country and possibly settle abroad if they desire to do so.
It would be more expensive to study abroad than in India. Scholarships and education loans can ease the financial burden. Information on financial aid and scholarships for art schools can be found towards the end of the article.
Exams for MS Abroad
Candidates appearing for a Master abroad need to appear for your GRE or GMAT exam. It may or may not be mandatory for your university admission but would greatly improve your chances of getting enrolled into your Dream University. A lot of universities would also require candidates to appear for an English proficiency exam such as TOEFL or IELT. As mentioned earlier, rules are never set on stone. Candidates are always advised to shortlist popular MS colleges abroad and check the eligibility criteria for each and apply accordingly.
The top specilisations courses are:
|Artificial Intelligence||Civil Engineering|
|Electronics & Electrical Engineering||Architecture|
|Data Analysis||Biomedical Engineering|
|Data Analysis||Health Science|
There are tons of courses when it comes to specialisation.
Popular MS Universities Abroad
Below mentioned are the universities which provides these courses with their duration:
|National University of Singapore||Master of Technology in Software Engineering – 1 Years|
|The University of Bradford||Master of Science in Automotive Systems Engineering – 1 Years|
|The University of British Columbia||Master of Science in Computer Science –
|Harvard University||Master of Science in Data Science – 1.5 Years|
|MC Gill University||Master of Science in Computer Science – 1.5-2 Years|
|University of Alberta||MSc in Computing Science – 2 Years|
|Technical University of Munich (TUM)||Master of Science in Automotive Software Engineering- 2 Years|
|Dalhousie University (DAL)||Master of Applied Computer Science – 16 Months|