Why You Should Take the GRE Exam?
Are you a student aspiring to pursue an MS or MBA? If yes, then you must consider taking the GRE. GRE scores are not only accepted in the USA, but also in several other countries. It gives leverage to students applying for the MS program in any country.
GRE Exam Eligibility Criteria 2023?
Are you applying for GRE? The very first thing is to find the GRE exam eligibility criteria for admission in the institutes and universities abroad. You need to check if your dream university accepts GRE scores. After fulfilling the GRE exam eligibility criteria of the program or the university, you should go for the GRE registration process to take the GRE General Test. You must note that the eligibility criteria of each university/institute are different therefore it is suggested to refer to the eligibility criteria of the university you are planning to apply for.
You must know that the GRE exam eligibility criteria are the same for both the tests conducted by ETS such as the computer-based test and paper-based one. However, the pattern of both these exam types varies and so is their syllabus. The computer-based test is the most opted for, in areas where it is available. Candidates with a disability and other health needs can also appear for the exam, however, the GRE eligibility criteria are the same but you might face a variation in its registration process.
|GRE eligibility criteria||specific GRE test eligibility criteria to pursue postgraduate programs|
|Test type||GRE General (Aptitude) GRE Subject (Subjective)|
|Test duration||3 hours 45 minutes|
|Test sections||Verbal Reasoning, Quantitative Reasoning and Analytical Writing|
|GRE score||130 – 170 ( per section) Analytical writing: 1–6|
|GRE General Test||
Literature in English
|GRE Subject Tests||
Know more about the Eligibility Criteria for the GRE exam
University Requirements for the GRE Exam
In order to help you plan better for your GRE exam, let us help you understand the university requirements for the GRE test.
- In addition to the GRE eligibility criteria, there is also a minimum GRE score requirement of the college or university to which you aspire to apply; please note that some universities/colleges may not have a minimum score requirement.
- Thus, the ideal steps that you should undertake are shortlisting your universities and then work with the GRE criteria. Some universities may mandate high Quantitative scores, while others may mandate a high Verbal Reasoning score, depending on your chosen program.
- The top-notch universities usually require high scores for Verbal and Quantitative reasoning as well as for Analytical Writing Assessment (AWA).
Some Important Points About GRE Exam
- There is no GRE age limit, anyone can take the examination.
- The examination is generally taken by students who wish to pursue their masters or their Ph.D. These courses require that you have an undergraduate degree.
- Test-takers must have a valid passport while taking the examination. Without a valid passport, the examination cannot be given
ID Required for GRE
In India, the passport is the sole form of identification accepted for GRE exam eligibility. In both the form and the ID proof, the name must be spelled correctly. No photocopies will be accepted. The ID proof must not be expired. The ID proof must include a recent photograph. A comparable signature should be used.
To Understand the Test More, Here are the Test Sections Listed for GRE 2023
GRE conducted by ETS is taken at not less than 1000 test centers across the globe in 160 countries.
For the Computer-Delivered Test
Verbal Reasoning: Two 30-minute sections – 20 questions per section.
Analytical Writing: One section with two separately timed writing tasks – 30 minutes per task.
Quantitative Reasoning: Two 30-minute sections – 20 questions per section.
For the Paper-Delivered Test
Verbal Reasoning: Two 35-minute sections – 25 questions per section.
Analytical Writing: Two sections, each with one writing task – 30 minutes per section.
Quantitative Reasoning: Two 40-minute sections – 25 questions per section.
GRE Test Score Validity?
The scores acquired by you are valid for five years.
Once you have gained your GRE score, your scores are sent to the selection panels of various universities for your enrolment. Your score will be considered by these universities along with your other documents such as undergraduate results, recommendation letters, and records of other courses or degrees pursued.
GRE Score Eligibility for University
It should be remembered that candidates to MBA, MS, and law programs at the world’s finest universities take the GRE. Other requirements are as follows
- Score in undergraduate courses
- Score in language proficiency
- Project quality
- Work experience
- Letter of recommendation
- Letter of purpose
GRE Eligibility – Educational Qualification
ETS has placed no restrictions on previous qualifications till the candidate has completed an undergraduate degree in any field. Universities aren’t particularly stringent about it, though they may require a certain GPA.
GRE Eligibility – Work Experience
Most students are concerned about the work experience requirement, however, it is not a mandatory GRE eligibility criterion. After completing their undergraduate studies, many candidates devote a significant amount of time to studying for the GRE exam.
GRE Eligibility for Differently Abled Candidates
If you’re wondering if you’re eligible for the GRE if you have a physical disability, you should know that ETS offers all kinds of help. The candidate must complete and submit a form found in the bulletin to ETS.
GRE Eligibility – At Home Guidelines
The GRE at-home exam should be completed in a test center like environment, which involves sitting at a tabletop arrangement rather than on a bed or other sluggish locations. The examiner keeps track of the GRE at home exam online, making this a crucial GRE eligibility requirement for the at home exam.
Indian candidates are required to opt for the GRE Computer Based Test as there is no GRE Paper-Based test in India.
Highlights on GRE Eligibility Criteria
- The GRE has no specific requirements.
- There is no age limit for taking the GRE exam.
- The original passport will be accepted as proof of identity in India.
- You may need to meet some special graduate requirements at your chosen university or course. As a result, before completing the registration process, you should double check the university’s website to see whether any extra prerequisites are required.
Age Limit to Take the GRE
The GRE exam has no GRE age limit. This means that your age will not be taken into account when determining whether or not you are eligible to take the GRE test.
Documents Required at the GRE Test Center
- You must have an ID card with you when taking the GRE test, even if you do not receive an admission card.
- You must double check that the name on your ID card (ideally a valid passport) matches the name on your GRE application form.
- Your test ID must be an actual document with a recent photograph and signature that you will present at your GRE test center.
- The ID verification method at the exam center may include a photo and biometric identification, thumb printing or fingerprinting signature comparison, or videotaping.
Number of GRE Attempts
- GRE Subject Tests are offered all year long. You can take the Subject Tests as many times as you like. The number of times you can take the GRE Subject Tests is unlimited.
- Within a continuous rolling period of 12 months or 365 days, you can take the Computer Delivered GRE General Test once every 21 days for up to five times.
- This regulation will apply to you even if you have cancelled your scores from a previous test.
- You can take the Paper delivered GRE General Test as many times as you want, unlike the Computer Delivered GRE General Test.
Grad Schools Have Their Own GRE Exam Eligibility Requirements
While there are no eligibility requirements for the GRE exam, some of the best schools have strict requirements in terms of courses to be completed, GPA requirements, and GRE scores. This is because the top graduate schools in the world only accept the brightest pupils. This is why it is critical for all college applicants to examine the finer points of each college’s application.