UK Universities: Intakes
Universities in the UK follow an academic calendar that begins in September and ends in July. Between this time, UK’s universities and colleges, like their counterparts in USA and Canada, accept students in three intakes.
- Fall or September/October intake
- Winter or January/February intake
- Summer/Spring or May intake
Here is how UK universities and colleges conduct their admission cycles throughout the year
|INTAKE||STARTS FROM||DURATION||NATURE||PROS AND CONS|
|FALL||September||September–December/early January||Primary/Main intake||Most popular intake for international students, including Indian students because
|SUMMER/SPRING||May||May-August||Least preferred intake||
The Winter Window: Don’t Pass Up
Undeniably the Fall intake is the most popular among international students. However, it will be unwise not to explore your options for the Winter intake as well, especially if you need more time on working on your application. There are a handful of UK universities that offer a host of both undergraduate and postgraduate courses in their Winter term. Please check out individual universities for offered courses and real-time updates on application deadlines.
Which Intake for Me?
Your decision will depend on your chosen university and preferred course, your past scholastic performance, your test scores, the acceptance rate of your university of choice, opening of application, class commencement, and your availability for the course. Consider the following.
|PhD in UK||
|MBA in UK||
The upcoming intakes in the UK for you should be Fall 2021 and Summer/Spring 2021.
Are You Planning to Study in UK?
Click Here to Book Your Free 1-On-1 Session with Experts
Here is a general guideline for the deadlines of the UK universities.
- Fall or October Intake
- Top Universities: Between February and May of the same year
- Winter or January/February Intake
- Top Universities: Between June and September of the previous year
- Summer/Spring or May Intake
- Top Universities: Between October and January
- For all the three intakes, the deadlines vary between universities, courses, and the levels of courses
- Always check your university/department for its deadlines for your chosen course
The UCAS Connection
Are you applying to UK universities in Fall 2021 through the Universities and Colleges Admissions Services (UCAS) portal? You should check out these application deadlines for UCAS.
- For Undergraduate (UG) courses
- 15 October 2020 at 18:00 HRS UK time
- Any course at the universities of Oxford/Cambridge
- Courses in medicine, veterinary medicine/science, dentistry
- 15 January 2021 at 18:00 HRS UK time
- For most of the courses
- For Postgraduate (PG) courses
- The UCAS does not have its deadlines
- UCAS follows the deadlines of the universities
- The universities and their departments decide their deadlines for different courses
The Good and the Not-So-Good News from UCAS
- The 15 October deadline is generally inflexible
- Applications received after 30 June are archived in UCAS Clearing
- Many universities and colleges are flexible about accepting applications from international students late into the year, close to the beginning of the course
- However, ask the university if it has a vacancy, especially for courses with a 15 October deadline because these courses are highly competitive
- Some universities might have additional admission tests alongside UCAS application and these tests might have deadlines
Types of Deadlines
UG: See the UCAS section
PG: In the case of a Master’s, there are generally two types of deadlines.
- Course Application deadline
- Scholarship Application deadline, which will be different from the Course Application deadline.
- Scholarship deadline can be as early as 6 months from the commencement of the course or as late as a few weeks before the course starts.
MBA: Most B-Schools have several rounds of deadlines: Early Decision, Round 1, Round 2, Round 3, Round 4, and sometimes Round 5
- Early Decision: Early September
- Round 1: Between mid-September and late October
- Round 2: Between early November and mid-December
- Round 3: Between early January and March
- Round 4: Between early April and mid-July
Still, feeling a little confused? You can always reach out to us at Manya Education. We provide study-abroad counselling and would be happy to help you to stay on a steady course in your journey of studying abroad.
Find Your Dream University
If you are planning to study abroad and searching to match your profile with the best suited university, Experts at Manya Education have gathered important information of top Universities from abroad. Surely, this information will help you narrow down your quest for universities.
You can access accurate & authentic information related to rankings, application fees, average tuition fees, cost of living, scholarships, latest updates, and much more from more than 1000+ universities. You may also search for universities by name, country, or courses in common specializations, such as Physics, Finance, Business, Language and Culture, Agriculture, Environmental Science, Computer and IT, Media and Communication Marketing.
Manya Education offers end-to-end study abroad services encompassing admissions consulting services, test preparation, English language training, career assessment, and international internship opportunities to study abroad aspirants.