What is an Undergraduate Degree?
A student who is pursuing a degree after high school, at the first level of higher education at a college or university is an undergraduate student. Undergraduate students are typically those working to earn a bachelor’s degree, an associate’s degree. An undergraduate degree is sometimes called a first degree outside of the US. There are other types of undergraduate degrees as well outside of the US like foundation degree.
India hailed as having the world’s second-largest higher education system, has more than 550 institutions and universities along with 16,000 other colleges offering bachelor’s degrees in various academic disciplines. Within the 20-million student community in India, approximately 85% are undergraduates with enrolments increasing by around 15% every year.
Quality of Education
All degree-granting universities in India require accreditation by institutions authorized by the University Grants Commission (UGC). Educational reforms and enhancements in the quality of degrees and institutes are now attracting foreign students to consider India as a study abroad destination. The 2022 QS University Rankings: 3 Indian Universities among its top 200 universities.
Undergraduate Education Structure
- Regular degree programs in Arts, Science, Commerce, and Social Sciences are three-year programs whereas professional programs in Engineering, Medicine, Dentistry, and Pharmacy range from four to five-and-a-half years
- Academic performance is measured on a 10-point scale with 10 implying ‘Outstanding’ and 4 implying ‘Pass’
- Individual semester average is referred to as SGPA (Semester Grade Point Average) while the average of all the semester grades is referred to as CGPA (Cumulative Grade Point Average)
- A credit system based on majors and minors is slowly gaining popularity with the required credits for course completion ranging from 120 to 140
- Undecided major is not allowed
- Minimum 75% attendance is mandatory for most universities
Related Blog: GPA: The Foremost Part Of Your College Application
Check Your Score Now with a Free Practice Test
See where you stand with our practice tests. Find the right way to improve with our strategy sessions.
Let’s look at the list of specialized undergraduate/bachelor’s degrees programs offered in India:
- Bachelor of Arts
- Bachelor of Science
- Bachelor of Commerce
- Bachelor of Engg./Tech
- Bachelor of Law
- Bachelor of Medicine (MBBS)
- IIM 5-year Integrated Mgmt. Programme
1. Bachelor of Arts
Course offered in Literature, Economics, Languages, Philosophy, History, Journalism, Psychology, Political Science, Archaeology, Public Administration, Music, and Fine Arts; also available in Computer Science, Mathematics, Advertising, and Cinema Sciences
- Top colleges: Lady Shri Ram College for Women and St. Stephen’s College (New Delhi), Loyola College (Chennai)
2. Bachelor of Science
- Specializations available in Physics, Chemistry, Biology, Geography, Environmental Science, Information Technology, Computer Science, Geology, Agriculture, Mathematics, etc.
- Top colleges: St. Stephen’s College (New Delhi), Loyola College (Chennai), and St. Xavier’s College (Mumbai)
3. Bachelor of Commerce
- Fewer specializations are available within this stream but some of them include Cost Accounting, Foreign Trade, E-commerce, Business Economics/Law/Finance, Taxation, Marketing, Advertising and Sales Management, and Office Management
- Commerce graduates generally progress to higher degrees such as CA, CWA, and CSS and can also pursue management studies
- Top colleges: Sri Ram College of Commerce and Lady Shri Ram College for Women (New Delhi), Loyola College (Chennai)
4. Bachelor of Engg./Tech
- Specializations are available such as Computer Applications (also offered exclusively as BCA), Electrical and Electronics, Information Technology, Automobiles, Software, Biotechnology, Civil, and Mechanical
- Top institutes: IIT-Kanpur, IIT-Delhi, and IIT-Kharagpur; Christ University (Bangalore) is ranked high for Computer Applications
- Specializations include Marketing, Finance, Human Resource Management, Management of Services, Management of Global Business and Tourism Management
- Top institutes: Delhi College of Advanced Studies, IP University, Delhi
6. Bachelor of Law
- Specializations include Criminal Law, Civil Law, Labour Law, International Law
- The curriculum includes seminars, tutorial work, moot courts, and practical training programs
- Top institutes: National Law School of India, Faculty of Law, Delhi University
7. Bachelor of Medicine (MBBS)
- The duration between four to five-and-a-half years; the program includes a 12-month long internship
- Top medical colleges: All India Institute of Medical Sciences, Lady Hardinge Medical College
8. IIM 5-year Integrated Mgmt. Programme
- Designed for young students aspiring to become management professionals
- The curriculum includes Management, Natural Sciences, Liberal Arts, Humanities, Social Sciences, soft skills
Undergraduate courses in India offer the perfect grooming for students before they embark on their careers. With a wide range of universities offering diverse programs, India is getting noticed as an excellent destination for students from various social, economic and cultural backgrounds.
Are You Planning to Pursue UG in India?
Click Here to Book Your Free 1-On-1 Session with Experts
Acquire Skills to Boost up Career with UG Courses in India
Going for UG Courses in India not only helps students earn a degree, but also brings out the best skills of a student. Doing a UG Course not only teaches them communication skills but also presentation skills that get developed through the UG Courses in India, also training the students to meet all the challenges that occur in the working field. The project based learning gives us tremendous experience as well as knowledge which can be put into effect later on. There is a vast list of UG Courses In India, Also offers a vast number of disciplines in art as well as Science and Commerce subjects, the students find it easier to make decisions about his/her career. The traditional Concepts of education in India have completely changed with newer trends and many more traditional career options are now available. Though medicine as well as engineering are still in demand , newer UG Courses in India are fast emerging. Career oriented UG Courses in India have been developing skill requirements in particular as well as in the market needs too.
Some of the Newer Trends in UG Courses in India
There are so many new UG Courses that have entered in the newer trends
Mass communication, Media, Film, Advertising, Foreign Languages, Arts, Law, Healthcare, Commerce, Banking, Finance, Design, IT, Hotel Management etc. and soft skills are some of the excellent newer career opportunities available for the UG Students in India.
Online education for the UG Courses in India
Online education is considered one the most useful methods for students who are interested in doing their UG Courses in India. As there is High Competition for regular UG Courses in India, Online Education as well as distance education has turned out to be an alternative to the students. This method is very effective and the method of online teaching may also differ from Institute to Institute. Some of the universities force students to come and attend the college through Physical lectures or to do Laboratory experiments while some of the universities do not intend to do so. This is such a great opportunity as the student is sitting at home and can complete their UG Courses in India as well.
UG Courses Abroad
The top UG Courses Abroad are:
- Bachelors in Computer Science and IT
- Bachelors in Electrical Engineering
- Bachelors in Civil Engineering and Construction
- Bachelors in Medicine
- Bachelors in Architecture
- Bachelors in Design
- Bachelors in International Relations
- Bachelors in Language Studies
UG Courses Abroad – Best Countries to Study in
Studying abroad for Under Graduation is a huge deal and choosing the right country is an even bigger deal. Nonetheless, the following is a list of some of the most popular countries among international students for an undergraduate degree.
USA:- The Top Courses are:
- Engineering (36%)
- Math and Computer Science (35%)
- Business and Management (10%)
- Physical and Life Sciences (6%)
- Social Sciences (2%)
UK:- The top Courses are:
- Business and Management (26%
- Engineering (11%)
- Physical and Life Sciences (9%)
- Social Sciences (9%)
- Fine and Applied Arts (8%)
Canada:- The Top Courses are:
- Information Technology
- Business Management
- Pharmacy Technician
- Hospitality Management
Australia:- The Top Courses are:
- Business and Management (45%)
- Engineering (11%)
- Mathematics and Computer Sciences (9%)
- Health Professions (7%)
- Social Sciences (6%)
Germany:- The Top Courses are:
- Engineering (25%)
- Business and Management (16%)
- Humanities (12%)
- Mathematics and Computer Sciences (10%)
- Physical and Life Sciences (8%)
Benefits Of Pursuing UG Courses Abroad
Studying abroad is not easy, it comes with a lot of planning and efforts on the student’s part. However there are quiet some of the benefits of pursuing UG Courses Abroad:-
- When the student is planning to graduate from abroad universities the most plus benefit the student holds is that they have a high chance of exploring global career options with higher starting salaries. This would help the student to settle in life at a very young age.
- It helps the student come in contact with attractive job opportunities.
- Students who are studying abroad develop a unique IQ level that most employers find desirable during job interviews.
- It gives an opportunity for the student to travel the world at a very young age.
- The student gets an opportunity to learn a new culture and language.
- Students get to interact with people from the entire world.
Top 10 Undergraduate Popular Degrees in India
- Management MBA/BBA
- Engineering B.Tech and B.Arch, M.Tech, ME, BE
- Computer Application-BCA/MCA
- Designing – Fashion/Interior/Web
- Mass-communication/Journalism BJMC
- Hospitality (Hotel) – Hotel Management
- Medical-BDS and MBBS
- Finance -B.Com/CA
- Arts Psychology and Sociology
- Law BA LLB/LLB
The Most Common Types of Bachelor’s Degrees
- Bachelors of Arts
- Bachelors of Business Administration
- Bachelors of Science
- Bachelors of Management Studies
- Bachelors of Fine Arts
- Bachelors of Engineering
- Bachelors of Law
- Bachelors of Science in Informational Technology
- Bachelors of Medicine, Bachelors of Surgery
- Bachelors of Architecture
These are the top 10 best UG Courses in India.
Why Are There So Many Different Types of Bachelor’s Degree in India
When the student is transferred to 11th grade, he/she gets to choose one of three streams: Science, Commerce, and Humanities. These fields open up to many different career opportunities, and it depends on the student which field he/she wants to go for. You are taught different subjects in that particular field, and that is why there are so many different types of Bachelor’s degrees in India.
Online Undergraduate Courses in India
Indians saw a sudden rise in online courses in recent times. Thousands of students in India move to different countries to get higher education and professional prospects, but with the universities providing online courses, students can gain world quality education and the comfort of their homes.
There are few Universities in India that offer online Undergraduate Courses as well:
- Amity University Online
- IIT Madras
- NMIMS Mumbai- Narsee Monjee Institute of Management Studies
- Jain University, Bangalore
- Aligarh Muslim University
How to choose an online UG degree?
There are few tips that you can keep in mind while choosing an Online UG Degree :
- Decide on and find your major
- Verify the program and classes are offered fully online
- Check admission requirements and application fees
- Compare tuition, fees, and financial aid
- Keep an eye out for fees above tuition costs
Bachelor’s Degree in India vs Abroad
|Bachelor’s Degree in India||Bachelor’s Degree in Abroad|
|Easy access to home||Meritocracy, in a largely supportive way|
|Familiar environment||Intellectually stimulating environment|
|Intense competition||Higher costs|
|Local currency, and value-for-money||Research-driven education|
|Campus placements and job assurance||A life-altering experience; and an early start|
|Very weak research, innovation, and support framework||Unfamiliarity with university names and their value or degrees or pedagogy|
|Lack of support to develop personality & other soft-skills||Home sickness, lack of cultural company & familiarity, climatic variations|
Competition for Admission
In JEE, an estimated 1.2 million students compete for around 50,000 seats in tier-1 engineering colleges in India. Altogether, 1.5 million seats at up for grabs, while the enrollment is a shade short of 80,000, which means, only 50% of seats get filled: and the rest are the number of quality seats is just 4% of total test takers!
These admission percentages (1% in Medical & 4% in Engineering) turn out to be stiffer than that in the hallowed Ivy League colleges of the United States.
This level of competition tells why many Indian students have started giving their chances in getting admitted to American Universities, or global destinations.
Cost Advantage V/s Value Add in Life
Local Education (In India) is considered low in cost in comparison to an education abroad. The power of the network you build, the academic and life lessons you learn and the advanced nature of the subjects you are taught all add up a significant value.
Placements & Job Assurances
In India, the top universities have placements for students who are highly active and involved with corporate. The proper assurance of getting a good placement depends on the kind of university one gets admitted to. About 40% of the students get placed in India.
The scenario in the foreign universities is more a case of student-run placement efforts. Since placements are more programs driven, there are a lot of hidden gem programs in the top -100 universities that can be considered.
In conclusion, if we talk about the quality of education abroad universities play a huge role and studying abroad is highly considered. If the child’s dream is to fulfill his education of higher quality, it may be a prudent idea to book a flight today and enroll yourself to one of the best Universities Abroad. Also if your academic score is good enough, you might have higher chances of getting a scholarship. But it totally depends on the quality of the profile of the student.