What is a Master’s Program?
Completing a bachelor’s degree only provides an overview of the field but a master’s degree provides a detailed insight and specialisation in the area of competence chosen by a student. In today’s world, having a Master’s degree with the desired specialisation gives you an extra edge the edge in the professional field. Also, the Master’s thesis becomes a stepping stone for those who intend to move for further research.
Why Consider a Master’s Degree Abroad?
One of the greatest aspects of pursuing a master’s degree abroad is the opportunity to study at top-ranked international universities. Here are some of the most compelling reasons to pursue your master’s degree abroad:
- A master’s degree is accepted as a professional degree, with a new emphasis on educating students for careers in business, government, and so on.
- A master’s degree program prepares you for a PhD by combining discipline-specific, advanced coursework with abilities such as critical thinking, analytic ability, and time management.
- To gain a deeper understanding of current stream, a master’s degree allows you to build on your undergraduate knowledge and become a subject specialist.
- An individual who demonstrates the ability to succeed in a long-term position requiring stamina, discipline, leadership, and the ability to work effectively with others is eligible for advancement chances within their company.
- Masters in Management and Leadership
- Masters in Computer Science
- Masters in Business Administration
- Masters in International Relations
- Maters in Economics
- Masters in Psychology
- Masters in International Business
- Masters in Biology
- Masters in Engineering and Technology
- Masters in Health Sciences
Planning to Study Abroad?
Click Here to Book Your Free 1-On-1 Session with Experts
Best Places to Study MS
- MS in the US – It is the most popular choice for students as it offers innovative course combinations, updated curriculum, a wide range of course choices and specialisations, state-of-the-art infrastructure and excellent faculty. Many of the universities are top-ranked. Research-oriented students have a chance to continue with further research under world-class facilities and faculty.
- MS in U.K. – The United Kingdom and Northern Ireland are probably the oldest study abroad destinations. Retaining its glory, the universities have pioneered innovations over the years retaining its prominence in the global education system. The academic system is well accredited and accepts the Indian Academic System (10+2+3 system). Master’s programs in the UK are mostly of 1-year duration, thus cost-effective compared to other popular choices like the US, Canada, and Australia.
- MS in Canada – Canada is popular for the intensive research-oriented programs in the Universities. The academic standards are very high and the programs are cost-effective because of the moderate cost of living.
- MS in Germany – Germany has become very popular over the last decade with highly rated universities. Most of the popular programs are being delivered in English, good research opportunities, subsidised tuition cost and nominal living cost, makes Germany a very attractive destination for overseas MS students.
- A 4-year Bachelor’s degree program from an accredited university is preferred in the USA and Canada.
- GRE score (in some business programs GMAT score as well) is required for making an application to the US. Though not mandatory but some universities in Germany, Singapore, and Canada also prefer a good GRE score
- A good English language test score like IELTS or TOEFL is a must. The qualifying scores may vary depending on the university and program.
- Relevant work experience, co-curricular or extracurricular activities and research orientation are also given due weightage while considering a student’s profile.
- In some universities, pre-application networking with the intended research group is recommended. In some programs, students do receive interview calls as a part of the assessment process.
Duration and Cost of the Course
The study duration varies depending on the master’s program chosen. It can take anywhere from one to two years, depending on the course you choose. The tuition fee costs between USD 20,000 to USD 67,000 in tuition.
Most Master’s degree holders take up relevant job options as per their area of specialisation. Students intending to move for Ph.D. complete their Master’s Degree to develop in-depth subject knowledge and build on their research acumen.
How to Choose the Right Master’s Degree Abroad?
The following are some factors to consider while determining the course’s time duration:
1. Research or taught: A taught degree, such as an MA or M.Sc., can take up to a year to complete full-time, including courses, exams, and a dissertation. However, if you opt to pursue a research degree (such as MRes or Mphil), which can take more than a year to complete because you are completing original research, it is normally predicted to take one to two years.
2. Subject Selection: Courses in arts, humanities and sciences will tend to be standard length – a year. In exceptions like Social Work MA, one can expect the time scale to be around two years so as to accommodate the work experience and vocational aspect of such a course.
3. Course length: Courses in arts, humanities, and sciences will typically last a year. In other cases, such as the Social Work MA, the time frame will be roughly two years to accommodate the work experience and vocational aspect of the course.
4. Full-time or part-time master’s degree: It goes without saying that a full-time master’s degree will take the least amount of time, namely one year. Part-time degrees duration varies from one university to the next, depending on how long you have to complete the course.
5. Distance Learning: There are many more elements that impact time duration with distance learning.
A master’s degree from abroad broadens your horizons socially, academically, geographically, and culturally. Your eagerness to take on new tasks makes you an appealing candidate for future employers. You’ll also be more equipped for positions in global marketplaces formed by foreign companies and practices.