When it comes to technical and engineering courses (STEM), Germany is second to none with its top universities in Germany for engineering. With its excellent reputation in terms of research, technology and innovation, a lot of students apply to undergraduate courses in Germany (not from India though), master’s in Germany, and PhD in Germany. In addition, Germany is becoming an upcoming destination for students looking to study an MBA since there are many top MBA colleges in Germany.
- As per the annual trends report from the German Academic Exchange Service (DAAD), the number of international students in Germany is constantly increasing since universities in Germany with high acceptance rate are very popular and Germany is becoming the spot for students who want to take admission in best universities in Germany for international students in the year 2018 was 374,580.
Most top universities in Germany are public institutions. Heidelberg University, established in 1386, is the oldest university in Germany. Other old and prestigious institutions are Cologne University (founded in 1388), Leipzig University (founded in 1409), Rostock University (founded in 1419), Greifswald University (founded in 1456), Freiburg University (founded in 1457), LMU Munich (founded in 1472), and the University of Tubingen (founded in 1477).
The Technical University of Munich is one of the best universities in Germany. It has four campuses in Bavaria- Munich, Garching, Weihenstephan, and Straubing. When it comes to research-focused universities, TUM is among the best. It has collaborations with some of the best firms like Audi, BMW, Siemens, etc. Among its alumni, there are 17 Nobel Prize winners, and 22 Leibniz Prize winners.
Types of Universities
- Germany has a tertiary education system which distinguishes between two types of institutions. The term ‘Universitat’ applies to those institutions which have the right to confer doctorates.
- ‘Hochschule’, a generic term, applies to other degree-awarding higher education institutions
The top 10 universities in Germany for the year 2022 as ranked by QS World University Rankings are:
- Technical University of Munich (Global Rank: 50)
- Ludwig Maximilian University of Munich (Global Rank: 64)
- Ruprecht Karl University of Heidelberg (Global Rank: 63)
- Humboldt University of Berlin (Global Rank: 128)
- KIT, Karlsruhe Institute of Technology (Global Rank: 136)
- Freie University of Berlin (Global Rank = 127)
- RWTH Aachen University (Global Rank: 165)
- Berlin Institute of Technology (Global Rank: 159)
- Eberhard Karls University of Tubingen (Global Rank = 177)
- Albert Ludwig University of Freiburg (Global Rank = 172)
Here is a list of the top business schools for an MBA in Germany:
- Mannheim Business School
- Frankfurt School of Finance and Management
- WHU – Otto Beisheim School of Management
- ESMT Berlin
- HHL Leipzig Graduate School of Management
Find Your Dream University
If you are planning to study abroad and searching to match your profile with the best suited university, Experts at Manya Education have gathered important information of top Universities from abroad. Surely, this information will help you narrow down your quest for universities.
You can access accurate & authentic information related to rankings, application fees, average tuition fees, cost of living, scholarships, latest updates, and much more from more than 1000+ universities. You may also search for universities by name, country, or courses in common specializations, such as Physics, Finance, Business, Language and Culture, Agriculture, Environmental Science, Computer and IT, Media and Communication Marketing.
Manya Education offers end-to-end study abroad services encompassing admissions consulting services, test preparation, English language training, career assessment, and international internship opportunities to study abroad aspirants.