Applying for a PhD Program
- It is important to note that for a PhD from abroad with scholarship you should excel in the general GRE and the subject GRE because many universities require the latter
- You must tell the universities the specific area you wish to specialize in after you are sure when to Apply for PhD. This should be an area which interests you a lot. If you have some idea of the topic as well, go ahead and inform the admissions committee. They will know that you have done your homework and you are serious about obtaining a Ph.D. degree
Studying for a PhD Program
- A Teaching Assistantship is the assignment given to all PhD candidates and some grad school students to teach undergraduate courses in your subject in that university.
- For most students pursuing their Masters or PhD; a Teaching Assistantship, or TA, adds the necessary practical experience for a future career in the academia.
- There are other fellowships which you can pursue if being a TA is not desirable. You can also assist senior researchers and professors as a Research Assistants, or RA, in the laboratory.
The Thesis and Dissertation
Once you have decided to go for a PhD program, there are several factors that need to be considered before you finally decide upon the university and mentor where and under whom respectively you will complete your dissertation.
Choosing an able mentor and university
- This is the most important aspect of your PhD study.
- While there are many good professors around, your strategy should be to choose the one that is interested in your line of work.
- Align your thesis subject and requirements carefully with those of a professor whose interests lie in the same direction and then approach him/her. The more homework you do the better for you as the chances of getting an ideal mentor
- Ensure that the university or department you are applying to specializes in your stream…