What is a Ph.D.?
A Ph.D. is a postgraduate doctoral degree, awarded to students who complete an original thesis offering a significant new contribution to knowledge in their subject. Ph.D. qualifications are available in all subjects and are normally the highest level of academic degree a person can obtain.
- D. in Engineering Studies – There are a variety of research arenas under Electrical, Electronics and Computer Engineering, Computer Science, Mechanical Engineering, Civil Engineering, Architectural Engineering.
- D. in Natural Sciences – Popular subjects are Mathematics, Geology, Archaeology, Anthropology, Geography, Physics, Chemistry, and various fields of Biological Sciences.
- D. in Social Sciences – Most researched areas are Political Science, History, Economics, Sociology, Demography etc.
- D. in Arts & Humanities –Literature, Cinema, Visual & Performing Arts.
- D. in Management Studies – More students are opting for Marketing, Organization Behaviour, and Finance etc.
Best places to study PH.D.
Ph.D. in the USA:
The USA is the most coveted destination for Ph.D. students because it offers diverse specializations. Most Ph.D. programs are fully funded and have a flexible curriculum and structure. Universities have the superior infrastructure and support to conduct interdisciplinary research opportunities. The programs also offer collaborations among universities that enhance the overall quality of research and gives student maximum exposure under diverse research groups.
Other popular destinations are Canada, Germany, UK, Singapore, Australia, New Zealand, and Scandinavian countries like Finland, Sweden.
Every university and program define their specific requirements. However, few important factors are as follows:
- Excellent academic record and research activities displayed during Undergraduate and Master’s program.
- While the USA Universities do accept students for direct D. after their bachelors’ degree, mostly the student’s academic track record, research exposure, projects are considered along with other requirements before making this decision.
- Experience in the related field in the form of projects, internships, paper publications that convey focus and enthusiasm and intended area of research with a definitive research proposal is desired.
- Good GRE score is a prerequisite for admission in the USA and also is some programs in Canada and Singapore. For D. programs in business/ management studies, even GMAT scores are accepted.
- Many universities also need the GRE subject test scores. Especially high-ranking universities stress upon good subject test scores for offering admission.
Students can take up Academic/Teaching positions after their PH.D. Positions like Senior Research Analysts, Research Associate in Corporate Sector, Technical and Financial Sector also opt after successful completion of PH.D. Academically oriented students often pursue Post-doctoral Research.