There are approximately 4000 B-schools in India and many of them offer part-time MBA programs. In the last decade or so, B-schools in most Tier 1 and Tier 2 cities throughout the country have started providing part-time MBA programs – such is the popularity of this course. These programs are designed to cater to working professionals who do not wish to discontinue their employment while pursuing management studies. Part-time MBA programs are a great way to earn that knowledge without putting careers on hold or taking the risk of leaving a job.
Special Features of Part-Time MBA Programs in India
- Flexibility; however a few B-schools such as XLRI have a structured three-year part-time MBA program
- Longer course duration; ranges from three to five years
- Evening and weekend classes to suit working professionals
- No prescribed number of courses for a student
- Admission requirements not as competitive as for full-time programs
- Focus on real-world learning – application of learning at the work place
- Specialised programs also offered, based on specific industry (e.g. supply chain or finance management), corporate position (e.g. executive), and business (e.g. Indian family business)
- Limited opportunities for peer learning and networking
- Program cost considerably less and spread out over a longer period of time; between INR 300,000 to INR 400,000 on an average
- Since most students are working professionals, many B-schools do not allow them to participate in on-campus career-related events
- International candidates can also apply, but in most cases such candidates need to appear for the particular B-school’s entrance examination
- Since such programs are designed for working professionals, two to five years of work experience required
- GMAT and/or CAT/MAT by some top b-schools, such as the IIMs.
- Common written test (CWT), group discussions, and interviews
- essays, resumes, and letters of recommendation needed by some B-schools
Top Part-Time MBA programs
- Course duration – three years; Class size – 150 students
- Program includes case studies, discussions, papers, group projects, role-plays, etc.
- Course duration – three years, Class size – 60 students
- Focus on applying classroom learning at work and in special projects, peer learning, and emphasises learning in general management
Great Lakes Institute of Management
- Course duration – two years; course content is similar to its full-time MBA program, but is taught during alternate weekends
- The program allows students to present real-life challenges from their work and take help of their peers in solving them
- The core idea of the part-time MBA is to enable its students in applying classroom learning in their current jobs and gain momentum in their current companies and career trajectories
- Some employers still prefer a full-time MBA degree over a part-time degree.
- Students from family business backgrounds can particularly benefit from a part-time MBA that will allow them to grow the scope of their businesses.