After the United States of America, the United Kingdom is the second most sought after destination to pursue graduate studies in Business and Management studies and/or an MBA. The main attraction of pursuing an MBA in the UK is that the programs offer real value for your money, as they are of shorter duration, typically lasting one year, and therefore are more affordable. The UK offers numerous specializations including Finance, Entrepreneurship, and Marketing, as well as different types of MBAs including Executive, Regular (fulltime) and the fresher’s MBA. Also, an MBA from a UK school allows for easy access to working and living in Europe.
Why pursue an MBA in the UK:
A regular fulltime MBA from the UK is a lucrative proposition for various reasons
• UK institutions are ranked among the best in the world and their courses are internationally recognized and add a lot of value to a student’s resume.
• In terms of academic research activities, 5% of global scientific work is performed in the UK and this makes UK courses and programs innovative and unique in terms of their offerings and the experience they provide to students.
• Outstanding and constant academic support is a hallmark of a UK MBA.
• The MBA can include specific modules as per one’s interests and specialization focus.
• The UK allows students with 12+3 years of a Bachelor’s degree to apply to an MBA program.
• World-class internship and employment benefits are available while pursuing your MBA.
• The UK, as a multicultural nation, easily accepts students from different parts of the world and makes them feel at home. Also, English being the official language of the country allows students to enhance their communication skills.
Prerequisites for Enrolment:
These criteria differ for every program and university.
• An undergraduate (Bachelor’s) degree, either 12+3 or 12+4, from a well recognized, accredited university.
• Many programs also require candidates to have professional experience, ranging from 2-3 years.
• Applicants need to submit recommendation letters, a statement of purpose and/or essays, and a detailed resume.
• Business and Management programs from top and high ranked universities require good Graduate Management Admission Test (GMAT) scores.
Cost and Expenses:
For the 2012 academic session, the average total cost including tuition and living expenses for a medium cost university was £16,200-21,000, while a high cost university ranged from £19,200-39,000. On average, the maximum cost of tuition and living expenses for pursuing an MBA in the UK would be between £50,00065,000.
What are the English-language requirements?
IELTS or Toefl iBT scores are compulsory. The minimum IELTS score for admission is 6.5 or 7.
What are the Top BSchools in the UK?
• The University of Oxford
• The University of Cambridge
• Imperial College London
• The University College London
• The London School of Economics
Visa Requirements: Students must make Visa applications via IM2A forms, which are available for free at British embassies. The completed form must then be submitted at the embassy, alongside a Visa application fee and the following documents:
• A letter of acceptance/confirmation of acceptance for studies (CAS) given by the university, confirming their sponsorship of the student.
• Financial aid/sponsorship documents.
• Proof of accommodation.
• Once the documents are accepted, the student must also clear a visa interview, which is an essential part of procuring their visa.
• Students can work for 20-hours/week while their sessions are in progress.
• Students can work for more hours, fulltime during vacations and holidays.
• Candidates cannot engage in any business, entrepreneurship or service providing activities during the course of their program.
What are the prospective Career Opportunities?
• Graduates with an MBA from a reputed UK university can gain employment for a period of two years.
• An MBA graduate can earn a promotion, and also demand a higher pay package upon completing the program, especially if they have prior work experience.
• An MBA also allows graduates to opt for a career change and candidates can enter careers at a senior management level.
The Duration of the course:
Generally an MBA from a UK university ranges from 12 18 months
What are the Deadlines?
• Most programs offer a September intake and the application deadlines are on a rolling basis.
• Some low-cost MBA programs also offer intakes in January/April/August/October.