Education System in Australia
The education system of Australia is divided into a three-tier structure -combining school education, vocational education & training, and higher education together. Most programs offered by Australian universities provide courses and conduct research in a wide range of professional and academic disciplines which have professional recognition like Engineering degrees are accredited by Engineer’s Australia, IT/CS/IS courses accredited by Australian Computer Society, Accountancy courses by Certified Practising Accountant and many more.
Australian Qualification Framework (AQF)
AQF ensures that the qualification is consistent. It regulates and directs all the level of education to attain high standard of education.
Level of Education
Primary School : Year 1- Year 6
Secondary School : Year 7- Year 12
University : Year 1 (Diploma)
: Year 2 (Advance Diploma/ Associate Degree)
: Year 3 (Degree)
: Year 4 (Honours year)
Master by Coursework : Year 1 (Graduate Certificate/Graduate Diploma)
: Year 2 (Master’s Degree)
Many international students who opt to study abroad in Australia and eventually graduate from Australian institutions apply for Independent Skilled Migration. There is a special category for international students who have studied any of the Australian study programs.
Permission to Work in Australia
As per the student visa policy in Australia, international students studying in Australia and their dependents will only be able to work once they enrol and start their course of study. Under the regulations of part-time work permit, international students can work 20 hours per week/40 hours per fortnight. Students may work full-time during Public holidays and their semester breaks. However doctorate students and their dependents can work for full time once the course commences.
Conditions for Applying for a Student Visa
As a student visa applicant, you must fulfil the following requirements:
- An Offer of Acceptance: Before you can apply for a student visa, a valid offer letter from a CRICOS registered Australian institute is required.
- Electronic Confirmation of enrolment (eCOE): You will obtain eCOE after paying first semester fees along with Overseas Health Cover (OSHC).
- English Proficiency: An English language score is a mandatory requirement which can be IELTS/PTE (Pearson Test of English)/TOEFL Test result that must be included at the time of application for the student visa as an evidence of English Proficiency. Though TOEFL is not a very common exam, it is still considered for admissions.
- Financial Capacity: Student visas are granted when an international student provides proof of adequate funds to support the education and living expenses in Australia. This includes payment for the first semester tuition fees and evidence for the capacity to pay 1 year tuition fees and 1 year living expense (AUD 20290$) along with travel expense of AUD 2000$ for main applicant.
Applicant : AUD$ 20290
Spouse : AUD$ 7100
1st Child : AUD$ 3040
2nd Child : AUD$ 2790
- Work Permit Rules: As an international student in Australia, you will be allowed to work for 20 hours a week and you are also entitled to get 2-year post study work permit after completion of your undergraduate or post graduate studies and students studying Master of research are entitled to 3 year post-study work permit.
- Non-Immigrant Intent: You must leave Australia before your student visa expires. The other requirements are that you be a genuine student, have good health and be of good character -without a criminal record.
- Declaration of Previous History: The applicant needs to declare previous 10 years travel history and rejection for student/tourist visa for any country.
Processing of Visa Application for Australian Student Visa
- Submit the relevant completed application form 956A to visa officer or your counsellor, who will fill online form 157 and pay a non-refundable student visa application charge AUD$ 575 through credit/debit card or Paypal.
- On receipt of payment, the institution issues an electronic confirmation of enrolment (eCOE) which is provided by your education provider.
- Before initiating the visa process you need to undergo basic medical health check-up prior to visa filing from the panel of doctors prescribed by Australian High commission.
- You need to provide complete travel history for 10 years along with family details and date of birth.
- The turnaround time for student visa is 1 day to 12 weeks maximum. Usually it’s been observed in recent past, that maximum approval time is 2-3 weeks.
- Application form 956A, 157.
- Electronic Confirmation of Enrolment (eCOE) and OSHC Certificate.
- Health Examination (HAP ID) to track health check-up report.
- Valid passport (All blank pages photocopy notarized along with old and new passport pages).
- Travel History for past 10 years if stayed for more than 3 months out of origin country.
- A statement of purpose
- Other forms– Supplementary Questionnaire, details of family members and their DOB.
- Academic Documents (Photocopies notarized)
- IELTS test result (Photocopies notarized)/ PTE (make sure you nominate high commission to view your scores)
- Work experience documents (photocopy)
- Financial documents (Bank Statement attested by bank/ Education Loan letter and Income returns)
If you are under 18 years of age, then you need to provide additional information and documents:
- Guardianship form (Only applicable in case of Under 18 applicant)
- CAWW Letter issued by university along with citizenship documents and police clearance for the guardian.
- Form 1229– Grant consent to obtain an Australian student visa for an under 18 year’s student.
NOTE: The Australian student visa is filed online. No paper based application is acceptable.
Australian Embassy in India
1/50 G Shanti Path,
New Delhi – 110 021
Ph.: +91-4139 9900