UG in Germany
The most popular non-English speaking study destination! Sounds interesting? Let’s find out why!
Why Study in Germany?
Let’s Look at the Numbers!
- As per the latest QS World University Rankings 2018:
- 3 German Universities are in the Top 70 list
- 12 German Universities are in the Top 200 list
- 45 German Universities are in the Top 250 list
- As of 2018, nearly 374,951 foreign students are enrolled for higher education in Germany.
- Heidelberg University
- Ludwig Maximilian University of Munich
- Karlsruhe Institute of Technology (KIT)
- RWTH Aachen University
- Technical University Munich (TUM)
Powerful Reasons to Study in Germany
|Top Quality Education||Very Low Cost of Education||International Exposure||Long-term Employment Prospects|
|Outstanding research facilities||Zero to nil tuition fee||Chance to learn German language||Post-study work permit of 18 months|
|Highly popular for MS & PhD programs||Excellent Scholarship Options||Safe & secure, very friendly||Excellent work & internship opportunities|
Types of Institutes
|Universities of Technology (TU)||Offers theoretical and academic-oriented programs|
|Universities of Applied Sciences||Offers strong practice-oriented programs; it includes internships and practical semesters. E.g. engineering, business administration, social sciences & design courses|
|Colleges of Art, Film & Music||Offers courses in artistic subjects such as Fine Arts, Acting, Dance, Fashion Design, Singing, etc.|
Popular Fields of Study
- Pure Mathematics
- Applied Maths
- Computer Science
*Mechanical, Automotive, Civil and Electrical Engineering are highly popular. Courses like Architecture, Engine Building or Plastic Engineering are also preferred by many.
Program Duration & Cost of Education
|Duration||Cost of Education (Tuition Plus Living)|
|Three to three and a half years
|Zero tuition cost
Living expenses ranges between 8,000-9,000 Euros per year
Eligibility Criteria for Undergrad Programs
|Strong Academic Credentials||Standardized Test Scores
|Strong Extra Curriculars|
|Minimum 13 years of education and excellent academic scores (75% and above)
One of the following needed:
1. Cleared IIT Joint Entrance Exam (Advanced)
2. International Baccalaureate (IB) or any other recognized exam in the required subject
3. Passed Feststellungsprufung, the qualifying entrance exam for several German universities
4. 1st Year of Bachelor’s course from a recognized university in India
SAT is not mandatory
Minimum IELTS score of 6.5 if applying for a course in English
German Language Proficiency (B1)
|State/National/International Level participation
Declamations, Model United Nations, Olympiad, and several more
Intake & Application Deadlines
- There are two intakes for applying to German universities: Winter semester (starts in October) and Summer semester (starts in April), of which the Winter semester is the most preferred for its multitude of options in terms of courses.
- Deadlines for applying to a German university are usually between March and July.
Student Visa Terms and Provisions
- Students must comply with the German visa application procedures and carry the required supporting documents for obtaining the Student Visa (Visum Zu Studienzwecken):
- Certificate of admission from the university
- Academic records
- Documents in support of finances
- Health insurance documents
Student Visas are valid only for 90 days. Immediately after arriving in Germany, you must apply for a Residence Permit before the end of the 90 days. You must register with the local Aliens Department that issues a residence permit valid for a maximum of two years. In case of extensions required, if any, the application must be made well in advance.
Undergraduate aspirants, if your dream is to enter the Land of Ideas, as Germany is fondly called, for an enriching learning experience from the acclaimed masters of scientific education at world-class universities, do talk to our Manya-The Princeton Review representatives right away to make your dreams come true.