AWA (Analytical Writing Assessment) of the GRE is the first and the foremost section of the GRE test. It tests your ability to reason, thinking, logical analysis, and writing capacity using the Standard English language. AWA consists of two essays, one is the issue essay and the other one is the argument-based essay.
Both the essays are allocated half an hour each and there are no breaks in between. One has to write the essays continuously. There is no word limit and the scoring is from 0 to 6 with a one-point increment scale.
The issue essay is topic-based, the candidate has to give his/her opinion on a specific topic and give reasonable evidence to support his/her claim substantially. The candidate has to arrange their essay coherently and has to present cogent arguments.
The argument-based essay has an argument and the candidate is asked to give alternate explanations, provide any faults with the assumptions, or anything more of the sort. The candidate doesn’t have to give any new information and is not asked to take a stand or give an opinion. The candidate has to find assumptions and give solutions to the faulty assumptions to make the argument stronger.
AWA is evaluated by a human reader and an e-reader according to the standards set by the GRE. Your AWA score is not released along with the other scores at the end of the test, it is released along with the official scorecard roughly 2 weeks after the test.
- Varun S
- Varun SManya's diligent and erudite faculty is the key to cracking the GRE. The exam is all about time management and strategy employment which Manya trains you well at. Classes are really useful, especially for Verbal.
- GokulDue to the efforts made by the faculty I was able to score well in GRE. They always provided me with the assistance whenever it was needed. The online portal was really helpful during preparation. Thank you Manya- The Princeton Review,Trichy"
- Ananya Agarwal
- Ananya AgarwalI enrolled for GRE classes at Manya - The Princeton review last year. I had a lot of questions in my mind in the beginning because I come from a different city and I am a working professional. To my delight, they were answered patiently and professionally which gave me a sense of confidence. The faculty at Manya is really supportive and communicative. Everything you need for GRE is broken down really well along with a student portal and comprehensive study material that you can practice from. That's pretty much what I followed and scored 321 on the test. Ultimately it depends on you how to put the resources to optimum use. All the Best.
- Sanpreet Singh
- Sanpreet SinghI was the student for the GMAT classes in 2017. I am writing this message to thank Manya trainer, who taught me quant. The trainer had helped me out in pulling up my score, by constantly giving me challenging questions, helping in clearing my doubt and sharing a new approach to save time in tricky questions. I gave GMAT in 2017, but scored 49/51 in quant, I got busy with my professional life and gave a GRE after a long gap in May 2020 and I scored 330(Q170, V160).
- Dharani Prasad
- Dharani PrasadI am happy to say that I have got admits from UCLA and Cornell University for M.S in chemical engineering. I have joined Manya Education which contributed to my success. I have done my GRE coaching in the Manya-Vijayawada branch and scored 323. Whereas I enrolled in IELTS coaching in the Visakhapatnam branch and scored a band of 7.5. After attaining the test scores & enrolling in the counselling services, I was able to complete my applications and send them. I am thankful to the Manya Education for my success in getting admission to top universities.
The GRE test consists of three sections:
The Analytical Writing section will always come first. It consists of two tasks and will take an hour to complete.
After the writing section, test-takers will face two verbal and two quant sections. Along with these four, there will be an experimental section(unscored) that is either a quant or a verbal section.
On the whole, these five sections will appear in a random order on the GRE test. To get a better hold of the format, test-takers are encouraged to take a GRE practice test.
There is no particular word limit for AWA, students can decide their comfortable word range.
There are no standard topics that repeat. But, the topics are very generalist in nature and they do not require any specialist knowledge of any particular field.
AWA judges you upon standard English Conventions, which is just one of the evaluating criteria. But, having a strong hold on vocabulary is always a good thing.
Yes, the arguments section in the GRE will help in writing your AWA essays. The patterns, the techniques to find claims, evidences and assumptions are helpful in deconstructing the issue and argument essay questions.
Quantitative Comparison, Problem Solving, and Data Interpretation questions make up the GRE Quantitative section. Each section ... Read More >
One of the most difficult decisions students must make ...
Read More >
The GRE (Graduate Records Examination) is a standardised test ...
Read More >
The Graduate Record Examination (GRE) is a test taken ...
Read More >
I took up the GRE test preparation package at The Princeton Review, Bhubaneswar a few months back and it has been a fruitful experience ever since. The trainers and counsellors are very professional and have always been more than willing to go out of the way to help the students in case of doubts and ... read more >
One of the best coaching center for Gre online preparation. Faculty are helpful.value for money.
I had joined the Sector 62 branch of Manya-The Princeton Review to prepare for GRE. The teachers for their respective subjects were not only knowledgeable but also helpful and accomodating to boot. It was a pleasant experience, the tips and tricks I learnt there definitely helped me score good in GRE. My counsellor was helpful ... read more >