AWA (Analytical Writing Assessment) of the GRE is the first and the foremost section of the GRE test. It tests your ability to reason, thinking, logical analysis, and writing capacity using the Standard English language. AWA consists of only one essay, which is “analyze an issue” essay
The time allocated for the essay is half an hour. One has to write the essays continuously. There is no word limit and the scoring is from 0 to 6 with a one-point increment scale.
The issue essay is topic-based, the candidate has to give his/her opinion on a specific topic and give reasonable evidence to support his/her claim substantially. The candidate has to arrange their essay coherently and has to present cogent arguments.
AWA is evaluated by a human reader and an e-reader according to the standards set by the GRE. Your AWA score is not released along with the other scores at the end of the test, it is released along with the official scorecard roughly 2 weeks after the test.
- Suyash Raj
- Suyash RajI started my GRE prep with no clear vision of what the GRE exam entails or what is the timeline to prepare. My instructors and batchmates at Manya helped me a lot with figuring out my way to a good GRE score. WordsApp and Sample tests on the Manya online portal served not only as educational materials but also as guiding benchmarks to measure my progress along this journey. Ultimately, I was able to give my GRE exam within less than three months of starting the preparation and perform to the best of my capabilities to achieve this score.
- Arun Kumar
- Arun KumarI enrolled myself in the Manya Online GRE course. The course was very structured and was instrumental for me to achieve my target score. The teachers were very knowledgeable, helpful, and attentive to my needs. Their insights and advice made my preparation smoother. The portal also contains a plethora of questions on each topic which helped me strengthen my concepts and understanding.
- Varun S
- Varun SManya's diligent and erudite faculty is the key to cracking the GRE. The exam is all about time management and strategy employment which Manya trains you well at. Classes are really useful, especially for Verbal.
- GokulDue to the efforts made by the faculty I was able to score well in GRE. They always provided me with the assistance whenever it was needed. The online portal was really helpful during preparation. Thank you Manya- The Princeton Review,Trichy"
- Ananya Agarwal
- Ananya AgarwalI enrolled for GRE classes at Manya - The Princeton review last year. I had a lot of questions in my mind in the beginning because I come from a different city and I am a working professional. To my delight, they were answered patiently and professionally which gave me a sense of confidence. The faculty at Manya is really supportive and communicative. Everything you need for GRE is broken down really well along with a student portal and comprehensive study material that you can practice from. That's pretty much what I followed and scored 321 on the test. Ultimately it depends on you how to put the resources to optimum use. All the Best.
The GRE test consists of three sections:
The Analytical Writing section will always come first. It consists of two tasks and will take an hour to complete.
After the writing section, test-takers will face two verbal and two quant sections. Along with these four, there will be an experimental section(unscored) that is either a quant or a verbal section.
On the whole, these five sections will appear in a random order on the GRE test. To get a better hold of the format, test-takers are encouraged to take a GRE practice test.
There is no particular word limit for AWA, students can decide their comfortable word range.
There are no standard topics that repeat. But, the topics are very generalist in nature and they do not require any specialist knowledge of any particular field.
AWA judges you upon standard English Conventions, which is just one of the evaluating criteria. But, having a strong hold on vocabulary is always a good thing.
Yes, the arguments section in the GRE will help in writing your AWA essays. The patterns, the techniques to find claims, evidences and assumptions are helpful in deconstructing the issue and argument essay questions.
When it comes to higher education, many students aspire to study abroad and earn a degree ... Read More >
This blog will show a few tips and strategies for ...
Read More >
The Graduate Record Examination (GRE) is a standardized test ...
Read More >
Pursuing a Master's in Computer Science (CS) from a ...
Read More >
A great place to prepare for the GRE exam. They are fast and to the point and provide the correct knowledge to get points on the test. The overall center is well made and clean and at a good location.
I took my GRE coaching at manya.Those classes were really useful,i just learned how to tackle the questions much easier way.Maintainance is really good.Finally very good coaching staffs.
Excellent place for GRE preparations. I like it. We get all our queries resolved related to verbal and quants. Staffs are very helpful in any difficulties we face, therefore we don't find it very hard to solve any GRE practice questions.