Given the popularity and the world-wide acceptance of the GRE, it is only natural that the test should be available easily. So it is, as we have more than a 1000 testing centers in more than 160 countries. There are two ways of taking GRE test, computer based and paper based. However, only the computer based test is available in India. The nice part is that the test is conducted all year round at the Prometric Test Centers, the only condition being first-come-first-serve. So be an early bird and get your nest.
But while booking the test, please keep your university deadlines in mind because these scores need to reach the universities before their deadlines. After taking the test, you will have an option to accept or cancel the scores before viewing the scores. If you accept, the scores would reach the designated universities in about 10 to 15 days and then a further couple of days for the university to process them. Hence, while deciding on your test date, please keep in mind this time frame and leave enough window for the process to be completed before deadlines.
To register for the GRE, you have two options, online or by phone.
- Before registering, review the fee amounts and the policies and procedures for the GRE
- Create an account using the same name as it appears on your identification document which you will be using on the day of the test (For test-takers in India, it is a valid passport)
- If there is a name mismatch you will not be allowed to take the test
- If there is a change in name, you will have to submit appropriate documents to the ETS
- Check the availability of seats at your preferred centers at your preferred dates
- In order to register for the test, sign into the account using your credentials and book your seat
- Make sure your preferred test date is at least two business days before your actual test date
- Use an American Express, Discover, JCB, MasterCard, or Visa credit/debit cards to pay your test fee
- People with disabilities or health-related needs cannot register online
Register by Phone
- Make the call to the Regional Registration Center (RRC) at least two business days before the preferred test date to register for the GRE
- Payment can be made using an American Express, Discover, JCB, MasterCard, or Visa credit/debit card
- The Disability Accommodations in the ETS Website has all information for test takers with disabilities or health-related needs
- In order to pay with a bank check or money order, you will need to get a GRE General Test Authorization Voucher by mail
There are no fixed dates for the GRE test as it is administered all year round. To check the availability of the test centers on your preferred dates, visit this link:
Points to remember
- Public Sector banks of India are not authorized to pay for the GRE test, hence, you may use a Visa or Master credit card or a debit card from any private bank to pay for the GRE test
- ETS may add or delete payment options at its own discretion and without notice
- Only a valid Indian passport can be used as an identification document for test-takers here in India
- A GRE score is valid for 5 years
- Retest is possible every 21 days, but not more than five times in 12 months (this includes attempts where you cancelled the scores)
- You may also mention the universities that you want the scores to be sent to (up to four universities can be mentioned)
- If you prefer sending the scores later or want to send scores to more than four universities, it can be done by paying an additional fee
- Rescheduling or cancelling can be done online or over phone at least four days before the test date at an additional cost
Furthermore, through your ETS account, you can
- Access and use the free GRE Diagnostic Service
- Purchase materials for test preparation
- View all your scores
- Receive text messages about your test and scores in addition to email notifications
GRE Search Service
This is an additional service which you can access through your ETS account. It is a database where you can add your profile for free and make it available for scrutiny by the Graduate and Business school recruiters who look for students eligible for their various programs. In case your profile matches their requirement, they might send you information regarding their programs, admission requirements, and scholarship and fellowship opportunities to help you pay for the tuition. You may sign up for this service both before and after the test.
For more information, you can visit the following link:
So if you are planning to study abroad, at a dream university where GRE score is accepted, then don’t wait for the last minute, but register online or by phone well in time, to take the test at your nearest test center and give wings to your dreams.