Studying abroad always has a special allure that draws students who have recently graduated or are looking to pursue a Ph.D. outside India. Are you one of them?
Moving abroad to pursue Ph.D. is certainly an enriching experience, both personally and professionally, and there are some very good reasons why you should choose to pursue a doctorate abroad:
Enhancing your long-term career prospects
- The foremost reason for you to pursue Ph.D. abroad should be to improve your long term academic goals. If you are looking to pursue a career in the field of academics, then Ph.D. becomes an essential qualification which can allow you to not only continue with your research but also teach University students.
- Several Ph.D. graduates who are lucky enough to be sponsored to do their course, go on to find employment with the companies that funded them. Moreover, the modern Ph.D. is a surprisingly versatile qualification that helps develop a wide range of skills that are highly transferable to other industries.
- Another important factor to consider here is your interaction with a diverse range of people while studying abroad. This not only enhances your ability to interact with individuals from other cultures but also encourages you to analyze issues with a global perspective, which is essential in the international job market.
Related Blog: Top 10 tips to apply for a PhD Admissions in USA
Better Funding opportunities
The financial factor is definitely an important one to consider when you are deciding on doing a Ph.D. abroad. It’s a real concern and should be accounted for before you make a firm decision.
- Several European countries such as Sweden, the Netherlands, Norway, and France see their Ph.D. students as employees rather than students, and so they are paid a monthly stipend. However, in some cases, funded doctoral degrees are only available for predefined research projects. These are Ph.D.s offered by universities covering particular subject areas.
- The tuition fee for a doctorate at a German university is free – at least in public higher education institutions. This applies to individual Ph.D. and structured Ph.D. programs.
- Countries such as Denmark, where the tuition fees for Ph.D. students can be as low as US$500 per annum, and Finland, which offers several courses in English with affordable living conditions, can prove to be key factors while deciding on pursuing a Ph.D. abroad.
Do you have a good university degree and a promising doctoral thesis project?
Then your prospects for receiving a scholarship or a funded doctoral position are extremely high!
Research benefits and contribution towards your chosen field.
- You can choose to pursue a course of Ph.D. study for a subject you are passionate about and use your research time to make important discoveries within that field.
- In many universities abroad, you can also join or initiate research projects for academic credit pay, with greater chances for your work getting published or contribution for ambitious start-up companies.
- Another great thing about your Ph.D. abroad is that you will be able to conduct your research. If your thesis and findings are strong and relevant enough, other experts within your chosen area of academia will reference your work and your discoveries while teaching upcoming students. All sorts of careers draw upon these skills, from public administration, public relations management to marketing, journalism, and even government and politics.
Related Blog: Ph.D in USA for International Students
Quality education and engaging campuses
Pursuing a Ph.D. degree abroad helps you experience a new research environment, expands your horizons, allowing you to work with the best in your field.
- Universities abroad engage students in active learning through class participation, dialogue exchange, case studies, and practical off- and on-campus experiences. Moreover, they attempt to cultivate a research environment, and the teaching and research methods are usually known to arouse interest and not just regularity for the students.
- Most campuses abroad include a plethora of facilities that offer students a relaxing time to rejuvenate from their research and study time. In addition to this, flexibility to tailor courses to a student’s interest and studying in a multicultural environment significantly adds to the overall appeal of earning a degree abroad.
Overcoming personal challenges and improving your intellectual potential
- Universities abroad play an essential role in enabling students to realize their potential. In addition to becoming more outgoing, confident, and communicative; pursuing a Ph.D. will demonstrate your ability to conduct independent research and impart skills that may lead to better jobs.
- On a personal level, you will get to meet people from diverse backgrounds, and this will broaden your social network. This will also help you adjust to the new lifestyle as you embrace a completely different culture.
- Most likely, you would be adapting to a new language for your everyday use. While pursuing your Ph.D., you shall be using it for 3-5 years in a formal and informal context. This will help you become proficient in a language other than your mother tongue.
Visit Manya – The Princeton Review to know more about what all exams and tests you need to clear, to pursue your Ph.D. dreams!
Book your Free Counselling Session now!