Surviving in this competitive world is an ordeal by itself and if you want to make a career in the field of your choice, then you better assimilate the right gear.
Of the most obvious options for skill and knowledge, enhancement is a Master’s programme with appropriate specialisation. Then, there is a rather underrated option called the Post Graduate Diploma, more so, a two-year Post Graduate Diploma.
I hear you! You say most PGDs are year-long programmes; so how is this 2-year course going to be different? While some universities in some countries offer 6, 12, and 18-month Diploma courses, most North American universities offer 1 and 2-year Diploma courses. The main difference between a 1-year and a 2-year Diploma (apart from the duration of the course!) lies in the curriculum and course structure.
Students who have finished their undergraduate studies can pursue a Postgraduate Diploma, also known as a Graduate Diploma, in Canada. A Master’s Program lasts three years, whereas a Postgraduate Diploma lasts one or two years (maximum). Depending on the university, it might be separated into two or four semesters.
1. Tourism Experience Management: If you enjoy travelling and are skilled at managing people, a career in travel and tourism management could be ideal for you! Travel and tourism, as a fast expanding and highly dynamic business, has soared to new heights in recent years. You can explore a variety of exciting career prospects in this industry, thanks to the abundance of job opportunities currently available. As a result, we hope that this blog will assist you in learning more about how to pursue a career in travel and tourism.
2. Biotechnology: Understanding the workings of living organisms at the molecular level, as well as their genetic make-up, is important to a career in biotechnology. This effectively creates a vital link between biosciences and technology. Biotechnology is attracting people from all around the world because it offers exciting job opportunities in both research and industry applications.
3. Financial Management: The primary purpose of financial management is to purchase, allot, and regulate funds for an organisation. Its activities primarily entail three types of decisions: investment, finance, and dividend decisions. With the ever-expanding breadth of Financial Management, you can pursue your career goals and work in a variety of settings in roles such as Financial Planner, Financial Leader, and so on.
4. Global Business Management: International trade and finance are no longer restricted by national borders. It has expanded into a variety of markets, both developed and developing. India and China are at the vanguard of international trade, accounting for a major part of all products and services traded. Parallel to this growth has been an increase in the demand for qualified individuals who are familiar with the intricacies of international business management.
5. Strategic Management: Encompassing a range of disciplines including planning and organisation, formulation of short- and long-term strategies, implementation, directing, and controlling, strategic management is steadily being recognised as an important sub-discipline within management studies. Furthermore, companies and organisations, big and small, are hiring aggressively across strategy roles which have led to strong demand for intensive education as well as the necessary technical and professional know-how in both upcoming graduates and early to mid-career professionals.
6. Marketing Management: Companies use marketing tactics to analyse target markets and grow customers by generating and delivering greater customer value products and services. Marketing management has become an integral component of the business world. A solid Marketing Management course will also teach students how businesses pursue, market, and position the products and services they sell.
7. Media Convergence: With the advancement of technology and media, global communication has developed. There are now a variety of opportunities to display your work, express your thoughts on topics, and disseminate knowledge and information around the world. A phenomenon known as Media Convergence is linked to them. This has arisen as a result of massive digitalization and broad internet use. For better functioning and growth, industries and organisations all over the world have begun to modify their ways and have amalgamated various sorts of media.
8. Data Analysis: Data science is steadily establishing itself as a new parallel alongside Computer Science but with extensive applications in the fields of Finance, Statistics, Economics, Communication, and Law, among others. The appeal of data science and analytics as a job will only grow as new fields of inquiry emerge, such as data-based public health management systems.
9. Clinical Behavioural Sciences: Cognitive behaviour therapy and counselling are taught in behavioural science programs to help treat a variety of illnesses, from children acting out in class to persons recuperating from brain traumas and more. Students will learn about developmental psychopathology, behavioural assessment, counselling, intervention approaches, and more in order to better comprehend and analyse a variety of behavioural disorders, as well as prepare for potentially volatile or difficult work circumstances.
10. Business Administration: Its goal is to help students gain a better grasp of business and administration. It combines modern management theory and practise in a unique way… This degree provides information and abilities in business management in a dynamic, relevant, and ever-changing environment.
11. Human Resource Management: Postgraduate Diploma in Human Resource Management is a one-year postgraduate degree. Strategic Management, Managerial Economics, Employee Legislation, Performance Management, Human Resource Development, and other topics are covered in this course.
Now, you may wonder – if a PGD is going to be a 2-year long course and yet not as celebrated as a Master’s degree, then why go for a PGD in the first place? Let us draw a little comparison between an MS in Canada and a PGD.
Students can enroll in one or two-year graduate diploma courses offered by SPP Colleges. The benefits are as follows:
There are numerous reasons to choose Canada as your destination for higher studies. Globally recognised and revered degrees, greater employability of the degree holder, momentous augmentation of the knowledge and skills in the area of specialization, cold climate but warm and friendly people, safe environment, higher standards of living, attractive stay back options, etc.; the list is long.
However, if you ask why a postgraduate diploma in Canada, then to the above list we can also add that the PGDs from Canadian Universities help the students lay a broader platform for extensive studies while providing internship opportunities on par with a Master’s program, but at a relatively low cost. To add on, the internship and industrial exposure offered with these courses will add on to your professional experience which is highly valued when it comes to the job markets. A recent survey shows that the average salary of a postgraduate diploma holder is around CAD54K.
While most countries aspire to offer both one-year and two-year graduate certificates, countries in Asia, North America, and Australia are known to offer programs lasting more than 18 months. While it is claimed that countries in Europe provide courses with durations ranging from 6 to 12 months, The main difference between a one-year graduate diploma and a two-year graduate diploma is the duration and content.
Here is the list of Mechanical, Computer Science, and Civil Engineering 2 year PG Diploma Courses in Canada:
|University||2 years PG Diploma in Canada||Fees per year|
|Humber College/td>||PG Certificate in Web Development||12,244 EUR|
|Centennial College||PG Certificate in Software Engineering Technician
|Centennial College||PG Certificate in Cyber Security (1 year)||10,610 EUR|
|Centennial College||PG Certificate in Construction Project Management (1 year)||15,916 EUR|
|Centennial College||PG Diploma in Computer Systems Technology – Networking||10,610 EUR|
|University of Winnipeg||PG Diploma in Network Security
PG Diploma in Web Development
|Centennial College||Postgraduate Diploma in Electromechanical Engineering Technology – Automation and Robotics||10,610 EUR|
In Canada, a number of private and independent colleges offer PG Diploma programs. The following are some of the most well-known PG Diploma colleges in Canada among overseas students:
|1||Marketing Management||University of Winnipeg, Winnipeg|
|2||Resort Experience Management||Thompson Rivers Universities, Kamloops|
|3||Financial Management||University of Winnipeg, Winnipeg|
|4||Tourism Experience Management||Thompson Rivers Universities, Kamloops|
|5||Tourism Destination Development||Thompson Rivers Universities, Kamloops|
|6||Innovation and Entrepreneurship in Tourism||Thompson Rivers Universities, Kamloops|
|7||Adventure Studies||Thompson Rivers Universities, Kamloops|
|8||Managing Festivals and Events||Thompson Rivers Universities, Kamloops|
|9||Electro-Mechanical Engineering Technology – Automation and Robotics (Fast–Track)||Centennial College, Toronto|
|10||Business Administration||Simon Fraser University, Online|
|11||Clinical Behavioural Sciences||McMaster University, Hamilton|
|12||Computer System Technology – Networking||Centennial College, Toronto|
|13||Energy Systems Engineering Technology||Centennial College, Toronto|
|14||Biotechnology – Advanced (Fast Track)||Centennial College, Toronto|
Then there are other popular courses such as:
Some other colleges that offer 2-year Postgraduate Diplomas:
International students do not need to meet any complicated prerequisites in order to be admitted to a PG Diploma program in Canada. You can apply for a certificate course even after completing a three-year bachelor’s degree in the United States, unlike in Canada. The following are some of the most important requirements for pursuing a PG Diploma in Canada:
In Canada, the admissions process for diploma programs is rather flexible. The following documents are necessary for admission to P Diploma programs:
In order to enroll in a PG Diploma program in Canada, an applicant must have completed a relevant undergraduate degree with a cumulative grade point average of at least 60%. Candidates may be required to have one to two years of work experience for certain diplomas, particularly those connected to Project Management or Business Administration. The IELTS score of 6.5 is the primary English proficiency criterion; nursing diplomas require an IELTS score of 7.0.
Short courses in Canada, such as PG Diplomas and certificates, allow students to gain industry experience while they study. The following are some of the most compelling reasons to pursue a PG Diploma program in Canada:
Students who study in Canada are also exposed to high-quality educational opportunities in a multicultural, inclusive, and diverse atmosphere. Because Canada is a land of immigrants, your prospects of staying and obtaining permanent residency in Canada are the best among popular study countries.
Typically, courses are offered in response to the demand for a specific occupation in the country. Furthermore, students are granted an Open Work Visa for one to three years in order to gather experience based on their qualifications in Canada, which may lead to permanent residency (PR) in that country. On the other hand, if they return to India with an international qualification, experience, and exposure gained overseas, they will have an advantage over their Indian counterparts and will be easily absorbed by multinational corporations.
To obtain a study permit in Canada, you must meet the following requirements:
The amount of money you will spend on application costs, visa fees, fees for compulsory English language tests, and other such charges before leaving your native country. The following are the specifics:
The following are the fees for a PG Diploma in Canada for Indian students:
|College||Avg. Fees (INR)|
|Centennial College||8.0 Lakhs|
|Durham College||7.4 Lakhs|
|Fanshawe College||4.18 Lakhs|
|Algonquin College||8.8 Lakhs|
|George Brown College||2.73 Lakhs|
|Humber College||9.48 Lakhs|
|Mohawk College||9.83 Lakhs|
|Sault College||8.86 Lakhs|
|St. Stephens College||5.57 Lakhs|
|Luther College||11.60 Lakhs|
|The Sheridan College||10.5 Lakhs|
|Fleming College||10 Lakhs|
The cost of living in Canada is determined by a number of things. The province in which you will be studying, the type of accommodation you will be staying in, and your lifestyle are all important considerations. A table illustrating the cost of living in Canada is provided below:
|Province||Type of Expense (Monthly CAD)|
Some of the colleges in Canada that offer PG Diploma programs also provide scholarships to international students. Popular scholarships to study in Canada while getting a PG Diploma are listed below:
Because PG Diploma courses in Canada are very career-oriented, obtaining a job after completing a PG Diploma in Canada will not be difficult. PG diplomas in Canada not only prepare you for jobs in Canada, but they also ensure that you are prepared to work in a global market.
Depending on the subject you choose, you can work in related sectors and earn good money. Salary for a newbie following a PG Diploma might range from 35,000 to 50,000 CAD depending on the sector and employment role attained by a student.
If you are planning to study abroad and searching to match your profile with the best-suited university, Experts at Manya – The Princeton Review have gathered important information of top Universities from abroad. Surely, this information will help you narrow down your quest for universities.
You can access accurate & authentic information related to rankings, application fees, average tuition fees, cost of living, scholarships, latest updates, and much more from more than 1000+ universities. You may also search for universities by name, country, or courses in common specializations, such as Physics, Finance, Business, Language and Culture, Agriculture, Environmental Science, Computer and IT, Media and Communication Marketing.
Manya – The Princeton Review offers end-to-end study abroad services encompassing admissions consulting services, test preparation, English language training, career assessment, and international internship opportunities to study abroad aspirants.
For more information, call our Study Abroad Helpline 1800 102 4646.