US Study Visa- The types of visas you must know

You chose to study in USA and have successfully received an admit from a U.S. university. So, what’s next? An appropriate student visa is required to ensure your smooth transition to become a student of the USA.

The USA student visa is issued by the U.S. Embassy. The visa application process, which is time-consuming and cumbersome must be started well ahead of time to avoid last minute rush. To qualify for a study visa, one must show the presence of sufficient funds to support the study and an intention to return to India on completing the overseas education. Though each visa depends on the student type and serves a different purpose, the visa application process is of a similar pattern: an online application followed by an interview.

Here are the three types of US non-immigrant student visas:

F-1 Visa

International students opting to pursue an undergraduate, graduate, or doctoral degree at an accredited US college or university (includes a study of English at an English language institute) must apply for an F1 Visa. This is the most common form of international student visa applied by those opting to study in the USA.

M-1 Visa

Students looking to pursue a non-academic or vocational study or training in the USA have to apply for an M-1 visa.

J-1 Visa

Overseas education aspirants opting for a study- or work-based exchange program require this visa. For students earning credit hours in the USA as part of their degree program, a student intern pursuing an internship in the USA, or a visiting professor giving lectures at a university over a stipulated time period must apply for a J-1 visa.



Book your Free Counselling Session now!

Planning to study abroad?
Get free 1-on-1 counselling with our experts

Subscribe to this blog