I’m Not A U.S. Citizen. Can I Still Get Financial Aid?

Image5If you aren’t a U.S. citizen, don’t assume that you won’t qualify for federal and state financial aid.

Eligible non-citizens DO qualify if they meet one of the following criteria:

  • You are a U.S. permanent resident with an Alien Registration Card (I–551)
  • You are a conditional permanent resident with an I–551C card
  • You have an Arrival Departure Record (I–94) from the Immigration and Naturalization Service (INS) with any of the following designations:
  1. Refugee
  2. asylum granted
  3. parol
  4. Cuban-Haitian entrant

If you meet any of these criteria, make sure you fill out the FAFSA to apply for financial aid.

Financial-Aid (1)Situations When Non-Citizens Do Not Qualify

  • If you have only a Notice of Approval to Apply for Permanent Residence (I–171 or I–464), you aren’t eligible for federal student aid.
  • If you’re in the United States on certain visas, including an F1 student visa or F2 student visa, or a J1 or J2 exchange visitor visa, you’re not eligible for federal student aid. Also, persons with G series visas (pertaining to international organizations) are not eligible. For more information about other types of visas that are not acceptable, check with your school’s financial aid office.

Source: www.princetonreview.com


Sharing is caring:
Book your Free Counselling Session now!

Planning to study abroad?
Get free 1-on-1 counselling with our experts

Subscribe to this blog