Eligible non-citizens DO qualify if they meet one of the following criteria:
- You are a U.S. permanent resident with an Alien Registration Card (I–551)
- You are a conditional permanent resident with an I–551C card
- You have an Arrival Departure Record (I–94) from the Immigration and Naturalization Service (INS) with any of the following designations:
- asylum granted
- Cuban-Haitian entrant
If you meet any of these criteria, make sure you fill out the FAFSA to apply for financial aid.
- If you have only a Notice of Approval to Apply for Permanent Residence (I–171 or I–464), you aren’t eligible for federal student aid.
- If you’re in the United States on certain visas, including an F1 or F2 student visa, or a J1 or J2 exchange visitor visa, you’re not eligible for federal student aid. Also, persons with G series visas (pertaining to international organizations) are not eligible. For more information about other types of visas that are not acceptable, check with your school’s financial aid office.