The process of applying for a UK Student Visa is an integral element of studying in the UK. The next crucial step is to apply for the Visa as soon as you get a letter of acceptance from the university. To complete the application procedure for getting a student visa to pursue higher education in the UK, you must submit a number of documents. This blog will help you fully grasp the UK visa application process if you want to study there.
Types of UK Student Visas
Students from all around the world are invited to study in the UK for their preferred programme. The UK student visa is a necessary prerequisite for entry into the nation in addition to SOP, LORs, and other pertinent documents. There are three different sorts of UK study visas, which are determined by the applicant’s age, programme length, and programme type. The information and deadline for submitting your UK visa application are listed below:
1- Tier 4 (General) Student Visa
This type of visa is needed when you are applying for an academic course with a duration of 6 months or more as well as an English language course which run for more than 11 months; you must apply for the UK student visa at least 3 months before the start of your course.
2- Short-term Study Visa
It is intended for students who have been accepted into English language programmes lasting less than 11 months; they must apply for a UK student visa at least three months before the commencement of your programme.
3- Tier 4 (Child) Student Visa
This type of visa is for students who are aged 4 to 17 and have been accepted into a UK-based institution with a valid Tier 4 sponsor; they must apply for a UK student visa at least three months before the commencement of your programme
UK Student Visa Eligibility
Here are the key factors you should take into account before beginning your UK visa application with regard to your eligibility for getting the Tier 4 student visa:
- Your age must be 16 years old or above
- You must have obtained a letter of unconditional acceptance from a reputable academic institution in the UK that is a registered Tier 4 sponsor
- You have English language speaking, reading, and writing proficiency. You must produce the results of your English proficiency test to demonstrate the same
- Bank statements that show you have the money to pay for the programme you’ve chosen
- You must be a citizen of Switzerland or a non-EEA nation
UK Student Visa Fee
You must send a sum of £348 [roughly 35,525 INR] to finish your Tier-4, UK Visa application procedure. Additionally, you must pay an extra £348 for each person who will be travelling with you if they are a dependent or another person. You will also need to submit a healthcare premium when requesting a UK visa.
Student Visa for UK from India – Prepare Yourself Using These Simple Steps:
- At the official UK Visa website (https://www.gov.uk/student-visa), submit an online student visa application
- Once you have filled out the application form, print and sign it. After that, schedule an appointment at the application centre. The application number will be issued to you through email
- Pay the application fee for UK student visa
Modes of Payment
- Payment at Standard Chartered Bank: You can pay your fee at a selected Standard Chartered Bank location. The bank will issue a demand draught in the name of “The British High Commission”
- Demand Draught from a Nationalised or Foreign Bank: In order to pay your fee, you can get a demand draught from a Nationalised or Foreign Bank. You might be asked to pay a fee for this service by the bank. It is necessary to designate the “British High Commission” as the recipient of the demand draught
- Visa application centre – You can pay the UK student visa application fee at the visa application centre when you submit your visa application
- Pay online – You can pay your UK student visa application fee with a credit or debit card from Visa or MasterCard
- Gather the documentation required to apply for a UK student visa
- Take an appointment for a UK student visa and show up for the submission of the facial photograph, application, and fingerprints
Documents Required for the UK Student Visa
For Indian students, there are a number of UK student visa requirements. You must present the following documents alongwith your application:
- Colored passport-size photograph
- Filled UK student visa application form
- Along with the visa letter, include a letter of acceptance to the course in the UK or CAS. Prior to applying, the visa letter may only be utilized for a maximum of six months. Applications with letters that are older than six months will be rejected
- For the first year and a maximum of nine months, you must provide documentation proving your ability to pay tuition and living expenses. The cost will vary according to the setting and curriculum. You must provide evidence that you kept this money in your possession for at least 28 days. This tenure’s end should not occur more than a month before the deadline for applications. If you are studying outside of London, you should be able to show proof of £9,207 or around £12,006 for nine months in London. Tuition costs are excluded from this
- Secure English Language Test (SELT) administered by a recognised testing centre, such as PSI Services (UK) Ltd, the IELTS SELT Consortium, LanguageCert, or Pearson for those who are not in the UK
- Payslips, a receipt confirming payment of the visa fee, an original mark sheet or provisional certificate, and a score report for tests like the IELTS, GMAT, or TOEFL are other essential documents
- You might also need to undergo a tuberculosis test or receive specific medical immunisations, depending on your place of origin
UK Student Dependent Visa Rules
Under the UK dependant visa, family members such as your spouse and dependents can come and live with you while you study in the UK. Dependent is defined as Spouse, spouse, or civil partner, identical-gender partner, Minors under the age of 18 and kids who were born in the UK while you were there. If you meet the requirements mentioned below, you may bring a dependent:
- Financed by a college/university for a Level 7 course lasting nine months or more
- Taking a six-month plus course, financed by the government
- Doctoral students admitted to an extension programme
- Dependents must have enough money to pay their living expenses in the UK when applying for a visa. The duration of the visa, up to a maximum of nine months, costs £680 a month. If the visa is granted for a term of at least nine months (nine x £680), it amounts to a total of £6,120 per dependent
UK Student Dependent Visa New Rules 2024 and How It Works
- The UK government will no longer allow international students to bring dependants with them while studying for the UK Master’s degree unless their postgraduate courses are designated with a research programme
- Graduate route visas and PSWs will remain unaffected by the new UK dependant visa regulations in 2024; Under this approach, eligible students will be permitted to stay in the UK for up to three years
- Students will no longer be able to switch to a Skilled Worker Visa until they have completed their programme
- Beginning in January 2024, new regulations for UK-dependent visas will be in effect. However, no precise implementation date for this rule has been disclosed. However, you still have until the Christmas holiday to bring your dependent with you if you intend to study in the UK in 2023
Part-Time Employment on a UK Student Visa
If you are enrolled in a UG programme or higher at a UK institution that is listed on both the list of “recognised bodies” and the official “UKBA Sponsor list,” you can work up to 20 hours/week for (UK Student Visa) and full-time during breaks or summer holidays. Students should be informed that if their programme, such as foundation or pre-sessional English, is below the level of a UK degree, they are allowed to work 10 hours per week. Students on short-term study visas are also not permitted to work.
UK Student Visa Application Deadline
Indian students who intend to pursue higher education in the UK must apply for a student visa six months before the commencement of their term. The UK student visa processing time is three weeks. Once the visa is obtained, the period of stay is determined by the length of the course. If the course is at the bachelor’s or master’s level, one can normally stay in the UK for up to five years. If it is less than a degree, one can stay in the UK for up to two years.
With all the essential information about the UK student visa at your disposal, you are now well-prepared for the entire application process. It is advisable to begin the visa process early, as it can be time-consuming. To ensure a seamless experience and minimize the chances of rejection, consider utilizing the visa counseling services provided by Manya Education. Our experienced visa counselors can assist you with your application, interview preparation, slot booking, and offer valuable tips. Keep in mind that securing visa approval on your first attempt is crucial, as each rejection can impact your visa application history.
Book your Free Counselling Session now!