How to Apply for a Student Visa for Japan


There is plenty of reasons a student would want to study in Japan one of them being the high quality of education the country has to offer. Japan is one of the greatest countries for students who wish to study abroad since they have an opportunity to see and experience a whole different culture and way of life. Japan is a fascinating country with a very rich culture. It is a wonderful place for students who want to broaden their minds and experience something new every day, with a little bit of adventure in the form of studying Japanese, which can be challenging but rewarding. In recent years, the number of overseas students in Japan has risen dramatically, owing to the numerous options available, such as scholarships and affordable education, which no one would want to miss.

The Japanese student visa is a long term visa which allows students to study in the country. Make sure you’re prepared because the Japanese visa process is more complicated as compared to some other countries and can take longer than planned. Visit the nearest Japanese embassy or Consulate in your own country for additional information, or go to the Japanese Ministry of Foreign Affairs’ official website. The Certificate of Eligibility is one of the requirements for getting a Japanese student visa (COE). The certificate is merely the first step in the application process. The second is the actual submission of the Japanese visa application, which also contains other documentation.


Types of Student Visas

Types of Student Visas

Short Term

This visa lets you stay in Japan for 90 days. During this time a student can take various short term courses like language courses. You get a sticker in your passport when you arrive in Japan and that sticker represents that you are allowed to stay for 90 days.

More Than 90 Days

In this visa a student can stay in Japan for more than 90 days but less than 20 weeks.

Long Term

This visa is for students who wants to study a course that takes more than 20 weeks to finish.

Getting The Certificate of Eligibility in Japan

Every non-temporary foreign visitor to Japan must get a Certificate of Eligibility from Japan’s Immigration Services. However, you must obtain this before entering Japan, it is your school’s responsibility to handle the COE application on your behalf. You must submit them the necessary paperwork. Japan Certificate of Eligibility is intended to aid in the visa application process. It helps to demonstrate that you have been approved by the Japanese Immigration Services and that you meet the Japanese government’s entry standards for international students. Obtaining a certificate of eligibility is a time consuming task and can take up to three months.


Japan Student Visa Requirements

Japan Student Visa Requirements

While applying for a student visa in Japan there are certain documents that you need to support your application. Some of the documents are:

  • Student Visa Application form
  • Valid Passport
  • Passport size pictures
  • Certificate of eligibility
  • Letter of Acceptance from Japanese Institution
  • Academic qualifications
  • Proof of meeting the financial requirements to study in the country

Some Points to keep in Mind

Some Points to keep in Mind

  • The documents should be printed on an A4 sheet only.
  • Consult with the embassies about how many copies of the document you have to submit.
  • The embassy can ask for more documents if necessary.
  • After landing you will get a residence card and landing permit and these are very important documents. After receiving the residence card you have to report your stay at the local municipal offices and your address will be printed on it.

Applying for a Student Visa for Japan

Applying for a Student Visa for Japan

In order to apply for a student visa in Japan you have to contact a Japanese embassy or consulate near you. Then you have to collect the required documents that you have to submit with your application at the embassy. You can either submit the application at the embassy or through a travel or visa application agency.


Duration of Japan Student Visa

Duration of the Japan Student Visa

The student visa for Japan is issued for the following durations:

  • Six months
  • One year
  • One year and three months
  • Two years
  • Two years and three months

You can always apply for the extension of your stay.


Japan Student Visa Fee

Japan Student Visa Fee

  • Single Entry visa: 3000 yen
  • Double entry visa: 6000 yen
  • Transit visa: 700 yen


Working as a Student in Japan

Working as a Student in Japan

A Japanese Student Visa does not grant you the right to work. To work in Japan, you must first get a Work Permit from the local Immigration Office. Furthermore, as a Student Visa holder, you are limited to working no more than 28 hours a week and certain occupations are prohibited, such as working in a bar, club, adult stores or hotels, massage parlors, and so on. You can apply to modify the category of your visa from student to work once you graduate, allowing you to work. You will however, require an employment contract to do so.


Frequently Asked Questions


Ques 1. Is it necessary to get a certificate of eligibility?

Yes, it is important for you to obtain a certificate of eligibility from your academic institution. The certificate is merely the first step in the application process.

Ques 2. How long does it take to get a certificate of eligibility?

It takes about 1-3 months to get a certificate of eligibility.

Ques 3. Can we work after getting a student visa in Japan?

No a Japanese Student Visa does not grant you the right to work. To work in Japan, you must first get a Work Permit from the local Immigration Office.


Find Your Dream University

If you are planning to study abroad and searching to match your profile with the best suited university, Experts at Manya – The Princeton Review have gathered important information of top Universities from abroad. Surely, this information will help you narrow down your quest for universities.

You can access accurate & authentic information related to rankings, application fees, average tuition fees, cost of living, scholarships, latest updates, and much more from more than 1000+ universities. You may also search for universities by name, country, or courses in common specializations, such as Physics, Finance, Business, Language and Culture, Agriculture, Environmental Science, Computer and IT, Media and Communication Marketing.

Manya – The Princeton Review offers end-to-end study abroad services encompassing admissions consulting services, test preparation, English language training, career assessment, and international internship opportunities to study abroad aspirants.

For more information, call our Study Abroad Helpline 1800 102 4646.


Sharing is caring:
Book your Free Counselling Session now!

Planning to study abroad?
Get free 1-on-1 counselling with our experts

Subscribe to this blog