If you are planning to face your visa interview then there are a few things which you must do and a few which you should not. Here are few suggestions which you should consider before planning to take the Visa Interview. Let us have a look.
What you should do:
1. Smile: Always keep a smile. You have chosen your dream to go abroad and this is why you are here for an interview. So be happy and keep that smile; as you are near to achieve your goal.
2. A good posture: A good posture is a way to communicate that you are confident and well prepared. Take a deep breath and show that confidence.
3. Dress appropriately: Dressing well keeping in mind the occasion and the kind of people you will be dealing with. Choose the dress that supports your image and reflects your positive outlook. As you will be meeting the visa experts then keep it simple and professional.
4. Speak English: If you are planning to settle abroad then speaking in English is the primary requirement for any applicant.
5. Start a clear communication: Try to avoid using fillers such as ‘Like’, ‘Um’, or ‘I guess’ in a sentence. Also, it is suggested to pay attention to the questions asked by the counselor. Just to build up your confidence you can also practice in front of a mirror.
6. Making eye contact with the Interviewer: If you are not being able to make an eye contact with the person you are interacting with it is considered as a sign of dishonesty. That means you are not sure about what you are talking about.
7. Maintain your Documents: Maintain all your documents in a file and carry that file on the day of your interview. Make sure that all your documents are properly catalogued so that you can show whenever you are asked to present any of the documents.
What not to do:
1. Getting Nervous: Avoid being nervous as there is no need. You have planned your international visit either to pursue studies abroad or to get better career opportunities. So there should not be any reason to get nervous or feel tensed. Try out some breathing exercises before you start your Interview to calm your nerves.
2. Speaking English with a Forced Accent: Do understand that the Visa Officer can easily find out the difference between Indian and foreign accents. Do not try to put on forced American Accents. Be natural and clear in every communication you make.
3. Avoid making eye contact: Always remember that there is a difference when you make an eye contact and the moment you start staring. Staring without blinking constantly is not a good way to show that you are confident in fact; it can make the other person uncomfortable. So, do make an eye contact but don’t forget to blink.
4. Offer your document unless asked: The Visa Officer, in all probability, will not ask for any documents. Please do not offer to show it to them (until and unless they specifically ask to see something)
All the Best!