In case of standardised tests such as the GRE, mock/practice tests are as important as the real one, considering the huge level of competition and the fact that you cannot leave any stone unturned in ensuring that you admission in your dream university. You cannot afford to take the actual test again and again to improve your score; instead, through diligent preparation and optimal use of mock/practice tests, when you can ace the GRE in the very first attempt.
Why are mock tests important?
Mock tests provide you an idea about:
- What is being tested?
- What types of questions would be asked?
- How to use the online tools (the Mark Button, the Review Screen, Essay tools, the Online Calculator and such)
- The duration of the test and how many questions you can answer in that duration
- Your performance in an exam scenario, your strengths and improvement areas
- The scoring pattern
How to choose the right practice tests?
The Practice Tests should be an exact simulation of the real GRE because it is not just the questions but also the testing system that you need to get used to. So while the official test materials are at best simulative, they are not sufficient. Therefore, you need to look for other sources and ensure that you choose Practice Tests with the following specifications:
- 20 questions per section just as the real GRE
- an Analytical Writing Assessment and an Experimental section just like the real GRE
- The overall duration should be about 3 hours and 45 minutes just like the real GRE
- The content and question types should conform with the syllabus prescribed by ETS
- The test screen should match up to the standards of the real GRE
Official test materials from ETS
Power Prep Online
- The ETS website has two power prep tests that you may take absolutely free using the ETS account
- It is almost like the real GRE except for that there is no experimental section
- It comes with a full set of instructions on how to use the online tools for the test and also has a few practice questions of each type
Power Prep Plus Online
- These are paid online practice tests launched by ETS in August 2017 and cost $39.95 per test
- Authentic questions from the real GRE make their maiden appearance in this test and remain for 90 days
- You will also find two paper-based tests and two tests from the GRE Official Guide to help you improve your adeptness with the questions
For more information, please visit the official ETS website:
How to make an effective use of GRE mock tests?
- Take timed computer-based tests. Don’t rely on just one mock test, take many
- Before you begin preparing for the test, take a ‘Diagnostic Test’ which will indicate your standing with respect to the GRE and help you decide how much practice you need
- Post the diagnostic test stage and performance, set a reasonable target for every test you take
- Chart out a study plan and schedule the tests appropriately to make step-by-step advancement towards your goal
- Gradually as you continue preparing for the test through drills and exercises, also take your tests and monitor your score improvement
- If scores are not improving, review your tests and identify the shortcomings
- This analysis will help you focus on the weak areas and prepare for the next test
The Manya Princeton Review offers eight full-length tests that include the experimental section in addition to hundreds of online drills for practice. The tests are similar to the actual GRE and reflect scores that are quite indicative of the actual GRE scores.
So why wait, if you want to get that dream GRE score that will pave the way for you to enter your dream University; enrol with our world-class Test Prep services to convert your aspirations into reality.