Study Abroad in Asia

Education System in Asia

The Asia-Pacific region is emerging has a source of high-quality international education. Some of the world’s best universities are from Asia such as the Indian School of Business (ISB), Hyderabad; China Europe International Business School (CEIBS), Shanghai; Nanyang Technological University (NTU), and the National University of Singapore (NUS) in Singapore; and the Asian Institute of Management (AIM), Manila; among others. Studying in Asia is advantageous primarily because of the new emerging economies present there. Asia has become the preferred study destination because of the diversity, innovation, and tremendous economic growth one is exposed to while living and learning there.

Student Visa in Asia


Singapore is a popular destination to study in Asia. Any foreign student who wishes to study in a registered institution of Singapore is required to apply for a Singapore Student visa.

However you need not have a Singapore Student visa if you:

  • Have a dependant Pass and your spouse is studying in a Government, Government-aided, Independent, or Foreign System School.
  • Hold Immigration Exemption Orders.

Permission to work in Singapore

Student visa holders in Singapore are strictly not allowed to engage in any form of employment, business profession or occupation, whether paid or unpaid. This is unless they have the consent in writing of the Director of Immigration. While applying for a student visa you should know that violators will be prosecuted by law. Student work permit laws in Singapore are very stringent here.

If you intend to look for employment after your graduation you must make sure your student visa does not expire. The holders of the student visa should then apply for a social visit pass at the Singapore Immigration & Registration approximately 2 weeks before your student visa expires.

Mandatory documents for student visa

  • 2 copies of form 16, V103, form V39S and form V39Q. (The first set of forms must be original. The second set may be photocopies of the original set).
  • 2 recent passport-sized photographs (color/black & white).
  • The original and a photo copy, of the applicant’s official birth certificate.
  • A photocopy of the applicant’s travel document pages showing his/her full particulars and travel document date of expiry if he/she is not in Singapore.
  • The local sponsor’s identity card.
  • An original copy of a letter of acceptance from the school addressed to the ICA, issued not more than 1 month from the date of submitting the application for a student visa


New Delhi
Singapore High Commission
Address E-6, Chandragupta Marg
New Delhi – 110 021


According to the immigration laws of Hong Kong, foreign students have to obtain a valid student visa before coming in. However a student visa is not necessary for those who have a permanent Hong Kong Identity (HKID) card.

Conditions for applying for a Hong Kong student visa.

  • The Immigration Department has the following rules for a person to stay as a student in Hong Kong
  • He/she shall become a student only at a specified school, university or other educational institution.
  • The course undertaken must be approved of by the Director of Immigration.
  • Must not take any employment, whether paid or unpaid; or establish or join in any business.

Mandatory documents that you need in order to get a student visa.

  • An application form ID (E) 936, with relevant parts duly completed and signed.
  • A letter of acceptance from the school which you wish to enter.
  • If you are under the age of 18, one of your parents should authorize a relative, friend or the sponsor to be your guardian.
  • Evidence of the sponsor’s financial standing must be given, e.g. bank statements, saving account passbook, tax receipts and employment certificates.
  • An undertaking that the sponsor is prepared to arrange accommodation for you or that you will be staying with him, or evidence that a place has been provided by the school.
  • In addition to the above-mentioned documents, other information/documents in support of the application may be required by the processing officer in individual cases.


Types of Philippines student visa

Student Visa

  • The student visa is issued in the Philippine embassies/consulates abroad
  • The student visa is initially valid for one year, renewable every succeeding semester.

Exchange Student Visa – 47(a) (2)

  • 47(a)(2) visas are issued to officially designated exchange professors, researchers, and students coming from foreign universities with existing Memorandum of Agreement (MOA) with the University of the Philippines.
  • 47(a)(2) visa is valid until the end of the exchange agreement or scholarship contract.
  • It can be renewed if the scholarship or agreement is extended for a definite period of time.

Procedure for Visa Application

  • The university will issue a Notice of Acceptance (NOA) to you
  • The Philippine Embassy or Consulate notifies you in writing to appear in person for an interview and bring all the required documents.
  • Upon receiving the letter from the Philippine Embassy/Consulate, you will have to make an appointment to appear for an interview at the consulate or embassy.

Mandatory documents

  • Valid Passport
  • Application Form for Student Visa (accomplished in triplicate)
  • Three photographs
  • Medical Health Certificate (DFA Form 11) in triplicate with life-size chest x-ray and laboratory reports.
  • Original Notice of Acceptance (NOA) and when appropriate, the CEA.
  • Police Clearance Certificate authenticated by the Philippine Embassy/Consulate located in student’s country of origin or legal residence.
  • Visa Fee


Embassy of the Philippines
Address 50-N, Nyaya Marg
New Delhi – 110021