Study Abroad Introduction
In the modern global economy, the need for an international outlook is increasingly seen as a necessity rather than just an advantage. It is an accepted fact that India possesses human talent that far exceeds the capacity of its colleges and universities. Outside the IITs, IIMs, and a few other top-notch institutes, Indian university education does not do justice to the talent pool that enters it. Thus, it is increasingly desirable, and justified, for India’s brightest minds to seek overseas education.
Here are some of the advantages of studying abroad:
- Quality resources: International universities in developed countries have the budgets for providing their students with the latest technologies, substantial research funding and laboratories, and extremely well-stocked and expansive libraries.
- Top-notch academic curriculum: International universities boast of an advanced academic curriculum that encourages original thinking and questioning. The curriculum includes not just classes, but also projects, case studies etc. Unlike India’s education system which involves rote learning and which depends on students blindly following what the teacher says, students in universities abroad are given the freedom to question and challenge the concepts. This is why they are always at the fore-front of research across a wide variety of fields.
- Networking: University campuses abroad are abuzz with ideas and opportunities. Google, Facebook, Microsoft, Dell, Time Magazine, FedEx and many other companies started in the dormitories and campuses of international universities. Even if entrepreneurship of not your thing, an international education offers you immense global networking opportunities to take advantage of.
- International exposure: Study abroad opens avenues for lucrative jobs at multinational organizations, as most global universities have close links with associated industries and corporations. Career guidance centers established at these institutions assist students with information on available opportunities, and act as counseling centers that help match students’ interests, aptitude, and skills with options they can consider after completing their degree. Universities also organize training sessions and workshops that focus on developing the soft skills that are essential for a successful corporate career.
- Life changing experience: In addition to acquainting yourself in a global environment, an international education significantly enhances your future prospects. Programs in universities abroad provide more than just an academic qualification; they focus on the overall development of an individual. Interacting closely with people from diverse countries and cultures will not only broaden your perspective, but also help you develop cross-cultural skills which are an invaluable component in a modern multi-cultural environment.
Cost of Studying Abroad
The financial investment required fund an overseas education ranges from approximately INR 20 to 80 lakh; depending on the degree program, duration, and the study destination (country). For most applicants, arranging this amount can be a formidable challenge. However, there are currently numerous ways and opportunities apart from utilizing one’s personal savings to fund an education abroad.
There are internal as well as external sources of funding available that make studying abroad a possibility. Universities abroad usually offer financial support in the form of grants, assistantships, scholarships, and tuition waivers (most of them are merit based). In addition, several external agencies offer external scholarships. Some academic institutions also offer various loan assistance programs. There are at least 20 Indian banks that offer loans with easy repayment options for students pursuing education abroad.