The SAT is administered by the College Board, which is headquartered in New York. It is an organization dedicated to equal opportunity, believing that all students should be able to afford an efficacious college education, and provides a fee waiver program to low-income students because SAT testing expenses might be a deterrent.
The fee for the SAT exam in India is currently $104. As part of the fee waiver program, fees for tests and some extra services are waived. This facility allows financially disadvantaged students to demonstrate their interest in higher education by taking the SAT. The goal is for more students to take the SATs and achieve a higher score, increasing their chances of admission to prestigious universities.
SAT Fee Waiver Eligibility
SAT Fee Waivers are only available to students in the 11th and 12th grades who are in need of financial assistance. International students in the United States or its territories, as well as US citizens living abroad, are eligible for a SAT Fee Waiver.
To be considered, you must meet at least one of the following requirements:
- You’re a participant in or qualified for the federal National School Lunch Program (NSLP).
- Your annual family income is within the USDA Food and Nutrition Service’s Income Eligibility Guidelines
- You are enrolled in a federal, state, or local program that assists students from low-income families.
- Your family is on government help.
- You live in federally subsidized public housing, foster care, or are homeless.
- You are a state ward or an orphan.
SAT Fee Waiver for Indian Students
The service is pertinent to all the SAT exam takers with a family income of less than INR8 Lakhs a year. SAT subject test waivers are available for students in grades 9 through 12.
- The candidate must be a citizen of India.
- The student must be in 11th or 12th grade.
- Students must come from a family with an annual income of less than eight lakh rupees.
Fee Waiver Benefits
The complete cost of registration is covered by a SAT Fee Waiver. The College Board’s Question and Answer Services (QAS) or Student Answer Services are also covered by SAT Fee Waivers (SAS).The answer service provides insight into recommendations for improving your exam performance.
- There are two free SAT tests available.
- Two chances to access answer services.
- Score reports can be sent to colleges indefinitely.
- Candidates can apply to college application fee waivers at colleges that provide this service. (It’s worth noting that the colleges on the list aren’t bound to waive application fees).
- Participating colleges forgo application fees.
- Reduced fees for score verification reports. Participating colleges forgo application fees.
- There are no non-US regional fees for free tests.
- There are no late registration costs for free exams (if you live in the United States or its territories)
- There are no cancellation fees. Your unused fee waiver benefits will be returned to you upon cancellation.
What Fee Waivers do not Include?
- Fees for other College Board programs, such as Advanced Placement Exams, are not waived.
- A fee waiver can only be used once per registration. The waiver will be void if you fail the test on that occasion. You can use your second fee waiver, but you can only take the test once.
- You must pay a $30 charge if you want to change your test date. Your fee waiver cannot be used to put you on a waiting list.
- Students must still pay fees associated with changing test locations.
- Students must still pay the expenses involved in changing their SAT test date.
- Students will still be charged costs for requesting rush scores.
How to Obtain a Fee Waiver
To obtain a fee waiver code, contact your school counsellor or a representative from the agency. If you’re a homeschooled student, you must show proof of eligibility (tax documents, public assistance records, or proof of enrollment in an aid program) to a high school counsellor in your area.
You will be given a fee waiver number that will allow you to register and access your other benefits if your counsellor or an agency official confirms that you are qualified.
Making Use of Fee Waivers
If you are eligible for a fee waiver, you will only need to use a fee waiver code during your initial registration. Following that, your College Board account will be credited with all fee waiver benefits.
Please keep in mind that if you plan to take the SAT for the first time in August 2022, you must obtain a fee waiver code before the conclusion of the school year.
Important Registration Information
- At registration, you will be required to provide a photo.
- If you do not provide a photo with your registration, it will be rejected. For additional information, visit sat.org/photo.
- If you are testing in the United States or its territories, you can use a fee waiver during the late registration period. Check out the most recent testing schedule at sat.org/register.
- A fee waiver cannot be used for waitlist requests (requests to test made after the last deadline).
- Although fee waiver codes do not expire, they cannot be reused.
Acceptance of SAT Fee Waivers
If you do have a few SAT fee waiver codes or are designated as qualified, you can access the privileges on your SAT homepage. You only need to sign in to your College Board profile. If you do not have an account, you must create one.
Click on ‘My SAT’ on the website. If you have only used your College Board account for the SAT, you can accept the fee waiver right immediately by going to the ‘My SAT’ page. If you have been marked as eligible, read the SAT eligibility question and then click continue.
Alternatively, if you have a 12 digit fee waiver code for the SAT, enter it and click Submit.
In this blog, we have tried to cover all that you need to know about SAT Exam Fee Waiver. To know more about SAT preparation, SAT coaching, SAT eligibility criteria, SAT syllabus, etc. reach out to Manya-The Princeton Review today.
Book your Free Counselling Session now!
What documents do I need to provide in order to receive a SAT Fee Waiver?
- For an SAT Fee Waiver, you’ll need to provide the following documents:
- To estimate your income, you’ll need your tax records.
- A document proving your enrollment in your eligibility for the federal National School Lunch Program (NSLP).
- If your family’s income falls below the USDA’s (United States Department of Agriculture) defined range, you may be eligible for food and nutrition assistance.
- A document confirming that you are enrolled in a federal, state, or local program designed to help low-income pupils. TRIO programs, for example.
- A certificate confirming that your family is eligible for public aid or financial aid.
- If you are homeless or reside in government funded public housing or a foster home, you must provide proof of your financial situation.
- A document that certifies your status as a state ward or orphan.
How can I pick the best SAT Fee Waiver Company?
The College Board, a non-profit organization located in New York, waives the SAT fee. It functions as a single unit. There are no additional SAT Fee Waiver options or institutions available.
How can I acquire a fee waiver for the SAT if I’m from outside the United States?
The following is the SAT Fee Waiver for international students in India. It is also applicable to all other nations. Under the College Board India scholarship program, the College Board has partnered with a number of Indian universities to offer SAT scholarships. Under the terms of the program, high-achieving low-income students will be acknowledged for their achievements and will be eligible for complete tuition fee waivers. They should, however, come from Indian universities that are members of the Indian Global Alliance.
Who Is Eligible for the SAT Discount?
- Income-eligible students in India in Class XI or XII can request for discount coupons that can save them up to 90% on SAT registration fees.
- If your family’s annual income is less than Rs. 8 lakh, you can get a 90 percent SAT registration discount.
- Registration for the SAT is 50% off: A family’s annual income should be between Rs.8 lakh and Rs.15 lakh.
- Every student who is eligible for a SAT discount voucher will receive one. When students register for the SAT online, they use these coupons.
What Is a Good SAT Score?
A score that gets you into the college of your choice is considered as a Good SAT Score.
Are there any fees I still have to pay if I qualify for a SAT fee waiver?
Yes. These optional charges are not covered by fee waivers:
- Scores in a hurry
- Getting your results through phone